what is it like to be a real alcoholic?

Are there different kinds?

Favorite Answer

There are binge drinkers and then people who become physically dependent on alcohol. People who become dependent on it can go a day or two without a drink before they have withdrawal symptoms. People who are severely dependent can have withdrawal symptoms like shakiness, anxiety and rapid heart beat when they wake up in the morning. Believe me it can be hell. You can feel like you're a prisoner to the addiction.

do you really want to know the answer to that question? like any addiction, alcohol or whatever you're craving constantly can take over your life, drive loved ones away, make you stop caring for yourself and others, stopping you from living your life. people all get addicted to something at one point in their lives, but its best to not let it get the best of you. you should weigh the good and the bad of the addiction and see which sides benefit you the most. then you'll understand.

I used to live with a real alcoholic. His life was a blast--parties every night, fun, drunken carousing, laughing all the time, sleeping with many many beautiful young women, it was a blast just being around him. He even got free drugs like pot and cocaine all the time. Women loved him. Don't listen to the "sober sallys" above, being an alcoholic is loads of fun! Also, he had liver problems. But you can drink coffee for that.

Yes. there are social alcoholics and home alcoholics. Both are bad. AA is a bit too religious, so I would recommend semper-virens to find you a group you can count on. remember, your friends love and want to support and help you.

A real alcoholic is like any other big drug addiction. Most of your paycheck goes to whatever you are addicted to.

I know what's it's like to be around it and it can get pretty scary. I mean, 'is something going to go down' kinda scary. I believe 'raging alcoholic' is one kind where they go into a rage.

dangerous on the roads, killing yourself, abusive relationships....its real ugly to be an alcholic...i guess Its hard to stop when you get started.

sober and craving.