How are we (women) supposed to keep our vaginas clean?

okay i'm 19 but i never knew how i'm supposed to keep clean. I'm sexually active now, i think im supposed to somehow stick my fingers inside me and clean when i shower but that would hurt me wouldn't it? I mean the soap... I don't know! Am i wrong? how do most women out there do it? Does it hurt? will the soap burn inside? will i get an infection if i dont do what most women do? PLEASE HELP!!!

Favorite Answer

Douching is not necessary, the inside of the vagina is a self cleaning organ, that's why we discharge. Most gyno's will tell you not to it changes the ph of the vagina. Sometimes douching can create smells. Washing with a mild soap on the outside of the vagina, and between the folds of skin like on the inside of the outer lips is all you need everyday

Washing the outside with soap and water when you shower or bathe is fine. Don't clean the inside with soap! It will burn. I also don't believe in using a douche. As someone else mentioned, the vagina is self-cleansing. Douching disturbs the natural balance of good bacteria, and can actually lead to odor problems.

according to the picture next to your question you are a male. but that's OK to ask the question. you just want to know.

sticking fingers inside you won't hurt if you are careful. are your fingers clean? anything you put in there should always be clean. yes, soap can sometimes irritate. keep folds and creases clean, that's where bad bacteria can cause odors.

internal intimate areas have a natural way of keeping themselves clean.

ask a female relative or friend what they do. I think you'll find that most do not wash the actual inside area. there is natural good bacteria in there and you don't want to disturbe the nature pH balance.

Don't wash inside with soap. External washing with soap and water is fine. Don't douche.

And pardon me if I don't believe you're a 19-year-old woman.

you can douche (needed right after your period) wash the outside with soap , If that doesnt help go see a Female you trust

Douching is not necessary. It can change the Ph and even give you a yeast. All you need is summer eve and you will be good to go.

Source(s): OB/GYN

soap, water and a wash cloth. Gee whiz. Have u ever heard of douch?

im no expert but from what i know its called a douch

Your vagina naturalys cleans it self wih dischargeso don't do anything

• Dr Dee

by washing it