Ring around the Moon?

Last night I saw a large ring around the moon and there were no clouds in the sky. What does this mean? What is it?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The ring is called a Halo, Ice bow (like rain bow) or Moon dog (like sun dog) and is caused by the refraction and reflection of moonlight by ice crystals high in the atmosphere.

I have heard that these were used in past times to forecast the weather, but I'd never heard what kind of weather they meant you should expect.

www.weather-photography.com is a good site if you really want to get into the details.

Source(s): www.weather-photography.com/album.php?cat=optics&subcat=halo_22
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Karen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I've seen those a few; always during a full moon. I don't think there's any significance to it but with me being a crab, full moons always have a way of spoiling my day! Oh, I just made level 3! K, Peace...

• 1 decade ago

My mother has always studied the weather for a hobby. She says that a ring around the moon means that it will rain in one day. She has shown me as many as three, and in three days time it did in fact rain.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its moonlight reflecting off of ice crystals in the upper atmosphere.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I was told this is caused by moisture in area surrounding the moon. Don't know if this is true or not.

• 1 decade ago

Somethings going to happen! not really. It is ice crystals in the atmosphere.That's the truth!

• 1 decade ago

Please note also that ring has not always a circular shape, sometimes it's elliptical because it follows the Moon's shape, someway.

• 1 decade ago

either you got tired eyes or it's pollution.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.