Ring around the Moon?

Last night I saw a large ring around the moon and there were no clouds in the sky. What does this mean? What is it?

Favorite Answer

The ring is called a Halo, Ice bow (like rain bow) or Moon dog (like sun dog) and is caused by the refraction and reflection of moonlight by ice crystals high in the atmosphere.

I have heard that these were used in past times to forecast the weather, but I'd never heard what kind of weather they meant you should expect.

www.weather-photography.com is a good site if you really want to get into the details.

Source(s): www.weather-photography.com/album.php?cat=optics&subcat=halo_22
  • Karen

I've seen those a few; always during a full moon. I don't think there's any significance to it but with me being a crab, full moons always have a way of spoiling my day! Oh, I just made level 3! K, Peace...

My mother has always studied the weather for a hobby. She says that a ring around the moon means that it will rain in one day. She has shown me as many as three, and in three days time it did in fact rain.

Its moonlight reflecting off of ice crystals in the upper atmosphere.

I was told this is caused by moisture in area surrounding the moon. Don't know if this is true or not.

Somethings going to happen! not really. It is ice crystals in the atmosphere.That's the truth!

Please note also that ring has not always a circular shape, sometimes it's elliptical because it follows the Moon's shape, someway.

either you got tired eyes or it's pollution.