I have a light with two light switches, but they won't work unless one is in a certain position, what's wrong?

We've replaced both switches.

Favorite Answer

there use to be a ceiling fan where the light is or the switch was intended for one.....

You have what is called a 3-way switch. There is another wire that runs only between the two switch boxes. Sounds like there is a disconnect somewhere.

CAVEAT: I'm a carpenter, not an electrician....

You cannot use a regular switch, you need a 3 way switch and you need to know how to wire the switches in order to be able to make it work. For details look at http://www.howtowireahouse.com/how_to_wire_a_3-way...

you replaced the switches and wonder why they dont work? egads yet another one who believes they know electricity ...

first off I bet you either installed the wrong switches or simply wired them wrong..either way..I say call a qualified person to fix your mess...cause no one here will know exactly which you did...

and to fix this you need to know REAL electrical knowledge, and know how to use a meter properly to diagnose what you messed up

darkgoth u are a ********!!!!!