I have a light with two light switches, but they won't work unless one is in a certain position, what's wrong?

We've replaced both switches.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

there use to be a ceiling fan where the light is or the switch was intended for one.....

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

You have what is called a 3-way switch. There is another wire that runs only between the two switch boxes. Sounds like there is a disconnect somewhere.

CAVEAT: I'm a carpenter, not an electrician....

• 1 decade ago

You cannot use a regular switch, you need a 3 way switch and you need to know how to wire the switches in order to be able to make it work. For details look at http://www.howtowireahouse.com/how_to_wire_a_3-way...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you replaced the switches and wonder why they dont work? egads yet another one who believes they know electricity ...

first off I bet you either installed the wrong switches or simply wired them wrong..either way..I say call a qualified person to fix your mess...cause no one here will know exactly which you did...

and to fix this you need to know REAL electrical knowledge, and know how to use a meter properly to diagnose what you messed up

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

darkgoth u are a ********!!!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.