Is there any way I can take and use my US Christmas lights in W. Australia?

Strings of Christmas lights and electrical decorations are much less expensive to buy in the US than in Australia....yes, I know the voltage and all is different, but....is there anything* I can use in Perth, W. Australia that will allow me to use my American Christmas lights there? (* adapter or something, (a transformer?), please be specific, with a bit of explanation of how to use if it is at all possible to do, and cost if you know that, too...)

Thanks so much....I do love my Christmas lights!

Favorite Answer

if you're planning to take any 110v electronics from the US to Australia, you'll need an adaptor (which changed the shape of the plug) AND a converter/transformer. The price you'll pay for a good converter will be $30 or more. (Sure you can but a cheaper one, but it won't be worth it....) The price you'll incur to make it all work, plus the hassle of transporting them isn't worth it. Plus, what happens if you get to Aus and a bulb blows? Then you can't use them and you can't get new bulbs that work there, either...Buy them in Australia.

Source(s): personal experience

paying for shipping-power adapter-voltage adapt or X the number of lights/decorations

i think it will be cheaper to buy new ones here

but if you want to look at prices of adapters try Dick smiths/tandy electrical stores

Nope unless your lights are 110-240 which I doubt it. You will need both transformet and adapter.