Why do we feel a burning sensation when we hold the ice for sometime?

Favorite Answer

When you hold ice to your skin there are 4 stages of sensation changes. Within 5 to 15 minutes you will experience cold, stinging, burning/aching, and finally, numbness. The burning occurs when the nerve endings that sense temperature change temporarily cease to function. This is due to the physiological effects of cold decreasing blood flow and decreasing nerve conduction velocity to the area.

Source(s): Physical therapist.

Ice or a bag of frozen peas should never be placed directly against the skin as it will actually burn the tissue (cryoburn).

Also, ice should never be applied for more than 15 minutes at a time as doing so can create a new internal injury.

Cold Compression Therapy wraps are a safer and more effective way to apply ice and compression.

I feel the burning sensation within seconds because I suffer from cold urticaria.

Its more than just the burning, I swell and it hurts as if someone has stepped on the area with cleats, then I get the annoying hives.

Ohhh lucky me. -.-

• Jason

You freeze your nerves, extreme heat and cold have the same sensations, a burning sensation.

I do not know must be nature telling us hell is freezing over jah bless u

Source(s): Alexandra Surfer Chick

because it is very cold