what? asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 1 decade ago

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with an investment club?

Favorite Answer

I think there are some great online investment clubs. My favorite is http://www.top10traders.com - this is a free site that lets you see what the best investors are buying and selling. The site lets you create a portfolio of stocks with $100,000 in "play" money. Each day the site ranks the best performing portfolios, so you can see how your picks perform compared to other investors. You can also read posts on investing from the best traders, as well as share your own investing ideas. There is also a charting feature , so you can see how your portfolio performs compared to the S&P 500.

Here are this month's best traders:

http://www.top10traders.com/Top10Standings.aspx

Hope this helps.

• Karen

If you mean a club that pools its money to invest then the main issue with real estate versus the share market is the amount of money required. I am in Sydney Australia and it takes at least $350K to buy any kind of property here. That's a lot of cash to come up with. Realistically, the best type of structure for an investment club is a partnership and you wouldn't be able to borrow money, typically. That means you have to use your own money so the sharemarket is the best place for pooled investments on a partnership basis. Normally, an investment club is a vehicle for people to share the risks and to learn more about how to invest. So smaller amounts would apply to ensure that you aren't paralysed by fear - imagine deciding to invest $3,000 versus $300,000, much easier for the lesser amount. In Australia, the sharemarket has easily outperformed the real estate market over the last 5 years or so. It also has the advantage of being more liquid and has distinct tax advantages through franking credits.

I`ve known some of them but I can`t have general opinion about them. I have met some decent groups but have never seen really professionally managed investment club. This means I am not saying they don`t exist.