Damany C asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

If you stay in the dark for a long period of time, is it possible to go blind?

Favorite Answer

I wouldn't think so... The only reason certain dark depth fish are blind is because they evolved like that... so, I suppose, if a group of humans lived in pure darkness for thousands of generations, it's possible that they could lose their vision and rely on other forms of sight.

You don't go blind from being in the dark per se but you do go blind if you come out into sunlight after being in the dark for a long period of time.

In a 1800's prison in Port Arthur Australia convicts were put into total darkness as punishment. After a long while if they were lucky they would be let out for some exercise but went instantly blind when they hit the doorway. Consequently, they started exercising these prisoners at night to prevent them from going blind.

Source(s): Me. Went there on holiday in 1999.

I believe if you're in the dark even for an extremely long period of time you will not go blind. Good examples would be people in a coma for 10 to 20 years. Their muscles atrophy and they need physical therapy, but they can still see.

• Karen

The drug analogy works pretty well, but I think that the disease analogy works better. Look at the rise of a given religion over time, the way it starts off in one place, then is spread by carriers of it to infect other places. It reaches a point where it becomes endemic, rather like malaria, and lingers on for generation after generation. Once someone is infected with one form of the disease, they are resistant to other forms, already being hosts to the original disease and rejecting different variations on it. Some people eventually recover from their initial infection (which often takes place during childhood), but many people suffer from the illness for life. Like I said, the drug analogy is good, but I think the disease analogy is better.

Actually no it is impossible except by serve injury. The effect will only reduce the simulation of the nerve ending which is in the back of the eye which passes the image back to the brain.

There are (I think an Africaian) tribes in another country (I forgot where exactly) that develops second sight (spiritual sight) by having their children when growing up to be locked in a hut that blocks out light for 7 YEARS, yes YEARS!

Amazing.

Actually, i am nearly going blind from staring straight at the Sun my entire life. Hope to keep my vision. I would assume Darkness would just make u afraid.

Source(s): Alexandra Surfer Chick

Yes, you can go blind if you do not get enough sunlight. Vitamin C is the number one thing you get from sunlight and vitamins are not enough. Plenty of guys in POW camps went blind due to that reason and never getting eggs and other vitamins C foods as well as being deprived from sunlight.

No you will actually improve your vision. In the dark, your eyes adjust to seeing with little light, which increases their muscular output. As with all muscles, more work means bigger and stronger. Studies have shown that Inmates who are consistently put into solitary confinement have shown vision improvements and eye alertness on vision tests.

No. You will just be a more relaxed person because you will have interrupted all of your stresses. You will have had a chance to listen to your inner self rather than the outside world!

No, though if you suffer from seasonal depression, that could be a problem.