If you bought a movie(DVD) and you downloaded that movie from limewire, is that legal?

is it legal to have a copy of a movie that you own?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The copies on Limewire are sh*t anyway.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It's quite legal to have a copy of a movie that you own. However, how you come by that copy is relavent.

If you own a DVD, and you make an archive copy of it. (In case the origional is dammage, etc) then that is legal and covered under the "Fair Use" laws.

If, however, you have to crack the CSS encryption to make that copy, then while you do legally own the copy, you're guilty of violating other laws... The copies you get from Limewire are typically taken from movie theaters or rip'd from DVD's. Both of those methods of getting the raw media are against the law.

That said, since you legally own the movie, the truth of the matter is that nobody is going to bother to try and sue you over it. While they technically could win, the PR nightmare that the MPAA would have on it's hand would make it not worth their while.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, its not legal. I think it even says it in the warnings that u can't copy it, but hey if you are not planing on selling the copies then I don't see anything wrong with it.

• 3 years ago

No, never. If somebody owns the copyright to the action picture, it somewhat is illegitimate, in any different case it is not. you would be able to ask your self, "How do i comprehend who has the copyright to what?" i could say do exactly not difficulty downloading any movies.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

you wont get a good movie from limewire i suggest you try this for better results. http://www.torrentspy.com/search?query=axxo

• Brian
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

What Do You Think?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

who buys things these days?

limwire is my music store

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no, that's just stupid and a waste of time

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's illegal.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.