What are microbial extracellular polysaccharides (EPS)? What is their functional significance in the cell?

please help me..thanks for those who answered..please inicate your sources..and your names for authentication, : )thanks!!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well this is not my field of interest, but here are several things I know about it:

EPS- polysaccharides produced by microbial cell which accumulate on the surface of the cell.

Many bacterial species produce EPS. Lactococcus lactis is well studied example of EPS producer.

Their significance for cell is still not clear, but they play role in defense against bacteriophage infection, and also help cell to maintain H2O.

EPS are also involved in virulence of some pathogenic species like Streptococcus pneumoniae.

Check, Griffith's experiments with S. pneumoniae strains infecting mouse. This experiment actually led to discovery of bacterial transformation.

But important for you is:

In this experiment, Streptococci producing polysaccharide envelope were virulent, because EPS prevented them form being destroyed by immunity system.

Production of EPS by milk fermentation bacteria, as L. lactis is desired, because it improves texture of smilk products, like cheese..

Source(s): molecular biology student
    • Login to reply the answers
  • kua
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

it is relating to the undeniable fact that your no longer very creative or curiously knowledgable. no person wore fig leaves in the past the "fall", says so, they have been bare and didn;t comprehend it until after the autumn. additionally why might they placed on fig leaves if a curiously there became the technologies and ability to make a saddle. i think of it is approximately you desiring to place slightly extra attempt and theory into your tale the subsequent time with a view to be relaxing.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.