cmp asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 1 decade ago

If given the stock market ticker symbol for a company, how would you research basic financial information abou

If given the stock market ticker symbol for a company, how would you research basic financial information about that company?

Favorite Answer

First I would go to Yahoo finance and key in the symbol. That will display the basic financial data for the company. Next I would go to Edgar and read the 10k filings for the company and I would access the S&P stock report for the company from my brokers web site. I would do a internet search to see if the company has a web site and I would then visit the web site to see what the company has to say about itself. That can be very infomative. I would then go to one of the technical data web sites and research the stock action of the company to determine whether its is under accumulation or distribution.

I would then make my decision based on that information and the general portfolio makeup of my investments.

A couple of places I would start with: yahoo finance to get financial info. Then I would go to http://www.top10traders.com/StockInfo.aspx - here is can find out what other investors are buying your stock, also there are news stories for the stock, and dividend information also.

Yahoo/ finance is as good a place as any.... enter your symbol in the box marked " quote" and some info comes up for you..but on the left there are other aspects of investigating the stock...try them 'til you get used to seeing certain kinds of info on different stocks.

Also try http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/home.asp

Try the "stock scouter" on that site ..good info

• Karen

WIP - Work In Progress SGI - Styles Gagan Inc.

There are so many resources - yahoo finance. fidelity.com and many others. If you have investment account try to use your broker`s resources.