Saddam is dead... what do you think?

In an odd way its a relief but also I can't help but to be sad because he had a family and such, but I think that it might provoke everyone and that this didn't help much for americans.

so what do you think??

Favorite Answer

There's a lot of noise in the media about it right now, but it's a rather minor event at this point. Saddam hasn't been in power for over a year.

He certainly deserved his fate, although I tend to disagree with the death penalty in principle. However, I'm not so sure it was such a good idea to give the Iraqi government the authority to try Saddam - if we're going to try and instill rule of law over a place, trials in time of war don't set the best example of judiciary neutrality and due process. I would have preferred handing him over to the international human rights court in Brussels.

But really, Saddam Hussein is besides the point at this juncture. While U.S. media is going crazy over his death, 11 U.S. servicemen are yet to be confirmed dead by the D.O.D and if anything, this execution might spark a resurgence of violence. I really don't see a cause to break out the champagne here.

I'm not sure. I am not, generally, in favor of the death penalty, but Saddam was a criminal on a grand scale, so perhaps he had to be an exception to my views regarding the death penalty.

We could have just simply kept him in jail for the remaining years of his life. He is an old man and i don't think he would have had long to live. On the other hand, he looked in very good shape during his trial, so maybe he would have lingered on for a long period of time.

The only fear i have is that his execution will turn him into some kind of martyr within the anti-American circles in the Arab world. The view will simply be that he was killed by the Americans, pure and simple. This might or might not lead to a spike in violence, but the situation is already so bad in Iraq, that such a spike just might be meaningless. December has already been the deadliest month for US troops in Iraq so far, so all this might just mean more deaths in January. We will have to wait and see.

Letting Saddam rot away in some prison cell might have been good on the long term, but the many victims of Saddam probably needed this closure, this sense of justice.

It was only a matter of time. Can't say he didn't deserve it, but it's a hollow thing. This changes nothing about the situation in Iraq which continues to worsen.

The whole idea of this as 'justice' is kind of ridiculous. Yes, Saddam was evil, but who backed his coup, supplied him, put him in power in the first place - the CIA. Saddam was just another dictator the American government cut a deal with. We made him, and now we broke him. There are no good guys here.

What's done is done. I just want the Troops home. Now is a good time because of the Saddam thing. There is some momentum now. Let the Iraqi people sort it out for now. Let's show some faith in the Iraqi people. Maybe there will be less violence. How do we know unless we leave and give them a chance.

I think a great many people. the kurds for ex. whose family members were executed on Saddams orders must feel some sense of avengeance and peace now as probably do a great number of others who have suffered under his regime.

I fear the possibility of heated emotions running amok there in Iraq and perhaps elsewhere. I feel a quiet relief that this sentence did not extend the 30 days. Perhaps it was wise to carry it out swiftly, ((and if the sources are correct, this is what he wanted when he was sentenced)) to avoid the boiling and broiling of a people in turmoil in the middle east and so many foreign military there as well.

Personally, I am saddened and ashamed and affronted by all the inhumanity to man in the name of a god. in this case Saddam's Muslim God as he invoked Him in his last words:" God is great".

It is an injustice to the many Muslims worldwide who are subjected to negativity because of cruelty to man by certain muslims, so-called, 'in the name of their God.' It reminds me also of the slaughter and cruelty to so many other people around the globe by Christians, so-called 'in the name of their God.

Shame on us all who contribute to this.

Why do you care about his family when he ordered the torture, rape, and murder of millions of children, men, and women? He got what he deserved plain and simple. In my opinion, he should have suffered more. Why are so many people on here feeling sorry for that waste of life? There's being compassionate but come on already. Some people just don't deserve to live and he set his fate. No one else. I'm GLAD he's dead. I'm not going to be PC and pretend otherwise. I hope he's catching hell right now IN hell.

We have no right to murder people for whatever they did, or whatever it says in the Old Testament. People waste away ver quickly in solitary confinement with plenty of time to think about what they have done and to prepare for an eternity in hell. Now some poor executioner will go to hell for what he has done, and the judges and court officials, too. What a shame. Two wrongs do not make a right.

I kind of feel the same way. I mean, he got what he deserved but he was a human like you and I. However, I don't think it really will do much for Americans.

I think hanging till death

is totally absurd

Giving him cruel natural death will be the course

Now we need to execute all the other evil dictators in the world.