Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBoats & Boating · 1 decade ago

captains is this true?

Is it true a good captain goes down with the vessel if it sinks

cause if mine goes down the last someone will see is a few boubles in the water as my lungs fill with water.

Favorite Answer

What ! Are you crazy? The way that saying came to be is in the fact that "A good Captain " will see to the safety of his passangers and crew FIRST and Himself last. as for going down with his ship; Not unless he gets caught below decks looking too the others safety.

A good captain acts fast, and knows what to do in an emergency, thats why the Coast Guard boating classes are so important, Life vests are on (this is already covered since you are NOT allowed on my boat unless you are wearing one, I have many, in all colors and fashions, so pick one, or you can watch from shore), Notify USCG, via channel 16 VHF Marine radio (distress), POSITION, Nature of problem, and number of people on board, repeat it twice, if it is life threatening start the message on channel 16 with "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday", you'd better be in some serious trouble, cause they are gonna send out the cavelry REAL FAST, that means Helicopters, boats, the whole Shebang, if you get into the water lock elbows to stay together, this is where BRIGHTLY COLORED PFD's (life vests) are SO IMPORTANT !

You can go down with any boat you want. I prefer to live. The Captains responsibilit yis to passengers, crew and self.

My family at home needs me. I doubt they want to sit around the dinner table saying " I sure miss Dad" Yeah and "I miss the house and food his paychecks provided for us" "But we can proud of him, he went down with his ship"

How noble, choosing loyalty to an inanimate object over loyalty to family.

Suit yourself Capn' but I am going home. Boat or no boat.

Yar, me hearty, me thinks it depends upon the circumstance surounding the sinking....if it is all your fault, to Davey Jones Locker with ye, if not - save your passengers, your crew and then yourself!

Yes, it is true, and former U.S. President Gerald Ford is out there holding his breath while waiting for you.