How historically accurate and scriptural is it to only hold communion services the Tue. night before Easter?

I once attended a church who only observed communion the Tuesday night before Easter Sunday. There was one makeup one month later. The reason the pastor gave was he believed this best reflected the time of the last supper. I have not found similiar beliefs since. Why not?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Last Supper was the Passover Meal. It was on the Thursday before Passover. The Passover meal was one of three high feasts instituted by Moses under God's command. The Passover commemorated the last of the miracles Moses conducted in Egypt to force Pharaoh into letting the Israelites free. In this case the Angel of Death took the lives of the first born of all of Egypt but spared those of Israel who, through faith, smeared the blood of a lamb sacrificed on the door jambs. The Lamb was a prototype of Jesus, who died for the sins of mankind and His blood protects those who, though faith, accept him. The communion cup is a commemoration of Christ's blood shed on our behalf and the (unleavened = sinless) bread is the remembrance of his Resurrection, which we join in. Not withstanding this background, there is no scriptural command to do the commeneration on any specific day, although the biblical record indicates that the early chuch did it each week when they met together on the first day of the week (Sunday). Some churches still follow this tradition.

By the way, the other two holidays was the Pentecost - when the law was given - which corresponds to the time the Holy Spirit came to the church. This was to fulfil the prophecy that "I will write my law on there hearts and in their minds".

The last of the great feasts was the feast of booths (harvest feast), when people lived in crude huts for three days to remember what God had done for them. This is generally believed to be the time that Christ will return.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Historically, and scripturally Easter is pagan and the observance that most people do on Easter is suppossed to take place every first day of the week which is Sunday. Even in the book of Acts we have an example of Christians meeting on the first day of the week to break bread. Even the name Easter comes from a pagan diety.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If it was the Tuesday before Ash Wed., then it would make sense before the 40 day fast. On the Tue. before Easter means he has read the event of Holy Week totally different than the rest of Christianity. The Jewish leaders did not want to enter Pilate's palace because it was the day of preparation before a Sabbath. Thus that was Friday - Jesus ate the Last Super the night before.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

its up to each church...He just said "do this in remembrance of me"...Methodists and Catholics keep Maundy Thursday which is three days before Easter..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's neither accurate not Scriptural.

• beek
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Have not heard of that anywhere and it is not scriptural.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.