windows explorer error message?

Hi

when I click on My Computer icon, then click the C drive, then as soon as I click DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS, I get the message "windows explorer has encountered an error and must shut down" what causes this? and PLEASE don't tell me I have a virus!!! everyone thinks every computer problem is a virus. I have done plenty of virus scans as well as scandisk/defrag. qualified advisors please help.

PS windows xp professional 2002

WINDOWS explorer error, not INTERNET explorer.

Favorite Answer

Sometimes things get added to your registry. Not a virus, so those scanners won't find it. Do you know how to open and edit your registry? If so, look for anything that is out of place, especially software names you don't recognize.

If you are not familiar with this, try finding a registry scanner online. If it shows you have problems with your registry, you can then post the specifics here for additional help.

Just be careful if you decide to edit it yourself. If you accidentally delete something important, you could end up having to format the whole computer.

in case you may get into that account from secure mode and not ordinary mode, there is probably a utility that became put in on that account and its attempting to run a technique it somewhat is inflicting the errors/crash. what you're able to do is bypass into secure mode lower back log under consideration and below "All courses" sort "msconfig"(no "") and click on "sure"; while it starts off click on "selective startup" and uncheck "load startup products" then click on "ok" and restart the laptop; bypass into ordinary mode and then log into the difficulty account. in case you may log into it effortlessly bypass and do a equipment fix to an in the previous date(previous to difficulty) and that would desire to get rid of the wrongdoer. you additionally can basically bypass into "upload get rid of courses" and delete any unused or "not often used" courses.

wE 7 sucks

its always stucking