Making friends as an adult?

I am a married stay at home mom. Most of my friends are in different places in their lives, and as a result, I have lost touch with many of them. What are some good ways for a shy person to make new friends?

Favorite Answer

Being shy makes it hard to "just do it..." I would suggest joining a group of some sort... a reading group or book club through your local library, a mom's group, or an exercise class. Get out and get exposed to different people! If you go to church, get involved in an adult group... sure, working in the children's section is probably where you wind up...but go to the social events! Join the local YMCA - maybe a swim class for the little one(s). But expose yourself to human contact. While on-line chatting is nice, it just isn't the same as human contact!!! Get a dog and walk it... you'd be amazed at how that is an ice-breaker for conversations!!! Good luck. I know how isolated you can feel at home with just the kids and SpongeBob... Once you've met people, ask if it would be okay for you to get together "next week" over coffee... ask them if it would be okay to give them your phone number and ask them to call you... if you get phone numbers from someone, call them every few days... nothing clingy... just a quick hello. You'd be surprised at how many people are out there craving human attention!!!

Source(s): Experience...I was a stay-at-home mom for several years. It takes effort to get up, get dressed, and get out there...but oh so worth it!!

Make conversations with other moms at school when you pick the kids up or go to meetings. Church is an excellent place to make the right acquaintances. You could sell Mary Kay or Avon or become a Tupperware Lady-you'd get extra money and have lots of opportunities to socialize.

Good question. Join a group at YMCA take a yoga class some activity that you can work into your schedule.

Just come up and start talking. Find out about the interests you and your new friends might have in common. Be open to new experiences and be yourself. Try to be more well open.

Hope this helped!