How can I get experience as a writer?

I'm a 25 year-old college graduate (Communications Degree) and would like to move my career in a direction that will allow me to do more writing/editing. I have been working for the last 2 years in an ad agency (Marketing Analyst, no "creative" opportunities at this agency). Even if I don't get paid (for now) and it's "on the side", I'd like to start getting some experience but am unsure of where to start. I know I could probably do free-lance, but not sure how to begin doing that either. Any suggestions or personal experience?

Favorite Answer

If there's a local newspaper that has columns by "real" people, submit to that. The best way to get experience is to write as much as you can. Join a writer's group to get feedback (the local one I joined has helped me immensely). Talk to people. See if there's a group which might need a writer and or editor (like a volunteer agency, or other group that puts out a newsletter regularly).

I obtained a freelance position as a weekly newspaper columnist by keeping my eyes open. When I saw a small ad, I applied.

Just start writing, thats what I did, just write what you want to. Over the past three years I have written over 200 works, really, only about 20 of them are keepers, but still, I learned to love writing by writing what I like. I have mostly short stories, but a couple poems and an in progress novella.

Just write what you want, even if it means you end writing a bunch of stinky b-grade short stories.

I guess for employment purposes (or more like resume purposes), try and get a few of your works published in a local paper, even if they're not all that great.

Self publish books, write articles for smaller papers, and submit them. If you have talent, someone is sure to recognize. Start a blog, though it's rare, book deals have come out of the content. By no means will being published make you rich, but it will help you get your name out there. And most of all, network, network, network.

Write.

Failing that, squiggle doodles on a pad, maybe some of them will look like letters.