Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

For the secular; Do you think vanity played a vital role in religion?

Sometimes I WONDER if humanity believes they are so important that there HAD to be a creator for such noble creatures.

What are your thoughts?

Open minded welcomed. Thanks to everyone's response so far.

Note: I personally don't think we are "noble creatures". It's just the attitude I see thrown around a lot particularly with born again Christians who convert and no longer take responsibility for their actions because they are saved.

Favorite Answer

Sometimes I think the exact opposite. I mean, there must be lonely, miserable, desperate people out there almost ready to kill themselves to get away from the feeling of utter insignificance... and then along comes an ultimate cosmic superpower that cares deeply and infinitely about them, that will listen intently to everything they say and even everything they think, a personal gOd that will act as a spiritual security blanket.

It's the ultimate solution to their problem! It fills all the gaps that were previously hollow pockets of sadness and depression and unimportance. It's the defense mechanism at its finest.

I think you're missing the point, because: (a) whether you believe in creation or evolution man has been anything but noble from the earliest times (maybe some individiuals--yes, but mankind as a whole--no); and (b) it's generally the so-called Christian religions that have touted the idea of us as "noble."

I believe individuals can be noble, which you usually notice because of their actions, if their actions spring from the right motivation, the right ideals--which an outsider cannot always discern. And I believe that there is a single God whom we are accountable to; and the best ideals a person could have arise from doing what He requires, or from following His ways.

And I do not agree with evolutionists on idea that religion--and God--are human creations. How could so-called proto-humans have come up with such an idea to begin with, since their brains were limited--supposedly--to simple speech patterns (grunts?) and keeping alive in an eat-or-be-eaten world? The fact that just about everyone feels the need to worship (or you could call it "devote themselves to") something--or Someone--indicates to most people that we have an innate need to worship, because there is a Creator who put that need in us.

Those are my thoughts. I could say a lot more but I don't want to hog the space, or possibly bore you.

Yes, I think vanity is at the core of religion, but not in the way you state it. I think religion is completely made so that those in power can stay vain, conceited and in power. It plays the vanities of those it enslaves as well. Most large religions use any type of favors that they feel will entice the sheeple to follow them. So, the whole mess of it is based on vanity, coveting and adultery.

Quite the statement for something that's supposed to bring people closer to divinity. I think anyone who wants to be divine should run and run fast from most religion.

I thought this way for a long time, then this happened to me. You figure it out, I can't.

Several years ago I had an unusual experience concerning an uncle, a distant relative who lived over a thousand miles away.

While driving my car I suddenly felt the unmistakable presence of this relative that I hardly even knew. He was more like someone I had heard about than someone I knew. It was very strange; it felt as though I was momentarily lifted right out of my physical body. I seemed to be suspended somehow beyond space and time, bathed in a love so intense It felt like I could have just disappear into it at any moment if It would have let me. It only lasted for a few seconds, but it seemed to last forever at the same time. I realize how crazy this must sound. The experience was so strong that at first I was afraid I was loosing my grip on reality. I finally managed to chalk it up to an over active imagination.

Three days later I got a call from my aunt telling me that this uncle we are talking about had gone into a coma and died the day I had the experience. It felt like ice water had been poured down my back when she told me this. I had lost any real ideas of God or faith and had become somewhat of an atheist. Needless to say this experience caused me to rethink some of the conclusions I had come to.

I feel blessed to now understand that even in our darkest confusion something loves us so much that it went out of its way to assist me and bring me back to a state of absolute certainty about Gods love for us.

During the experience it seemed like there was a vast amount of information that I was somehow allowed access to. One thing that I came away from this experience understanding beyond any shadow of a doubt was that any Idea that God is unhappy with us or would judge or allow us to be punished for any reason is simply impossible.

I can’t explain the love I felt with words. They simply don’t make words big enough or complete enough to do this. The only way I can begin to convey this love to you is to say that there was simply nothing else there. Nothing but love. No hint of judgment, no displeasure of any sort. It is as though God sees us as being as perfect as we were the day we were created. It is only in our confused idea of ourselves that we seem to have changed.

I hope this is of some help to you. Good luck. Love and blessings.

Your brother don

ok, so i'm not secular...but hear me out.

well, don't hear me out; look at the basis of the christian religion.

romans three:

10 As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one; 11 there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. 12 All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one." 13 "Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit." "The poison of vipers is on their lips." 14 "Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness." 15 "Their feet are swift to shed blood; 16 ruin and misery mark their ways, 17 and the way of peace they do not know." 18 "There is no fear of God before their eyes."

no, i'd say the opposite, at least of christianity. i dont' know about everyone else.

I believe the reverse is true, many of us feel so unimportant, and, uncared for, unloved, that believing in GOD, helps them get on in this world. To believe that there's something out there that loves and forgives us no matter what, makes life more bearable........

Is there is a saying "what a man wants, he desires."

could be dude - could be!!! know what I mean?