How to remote desktop using windows remote desktop connection?

Hello

Myself connected via cable internet and a router (for home networking of four computer) and one of my friend connected via dialup modem from another country. I want to get access to his computer using windows "Remote desktop connection"

Is it possible? we can exchange our IP address if required but I suspect we have dynamic ip address. I try to connect by computer name but it seems can not find the computer. Do I need static ip address to do it? I have enable Remote connection for both computer.

Any suggession?

Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Yes, you need his IP address, but not necessarily static. Then type the IP address in your RD client "Computer;" field. Make sure you your firewall allows outbound connection and his allows inbound.

It is possible that your firewall either on your PC or in the router is not allowing the remote request through.

Check the router settings and make sure it allows remote connection, most times it needs a port number to give it access.

Depending on the router, the manual should give details on how to do this.