Why can't viewers choose advertising?

I pay a fairly high monthly price to have telivision programming, as well as "High-speed internet" brought into my home. While watching a movie tonight - continually interrupted by advertisements, I noticed thay also added a continuous "ticker-tape" to the bottom of the screen with scrolling ads... This has gone too far! Why must we pay to watch adverts? It costs nearly $75 for Cable TV!!! Shouldn't we be able to choose the level of advertising we're willing to accept? Same with internet.... I try to watch a streaming video I'm interested in seeing - but I must watch an advert first - to get the content I want... and I'm paying $50 a month to put up with it!!!

Favorite Answer

We (the public), would be much smarter.

Back in the fifties, there were all these advertising banners on game shows and the like, which by 1964 or 1965 were eliminated. Some statute that required a separation between entertainment content and sponsor messages. This appears to have been relaxed within the past several years, and I agree, it gets ridiculous sometimes with tickers, announcements of other programs, etc. Unfortunately, if it's a program that you like, you don't have much choice.

If you could,there wouldnt be any!

Infuriating isn't it!!