My 2 month old constantly raises a fist all day every day. Is that normal?

He clenches his hand and it shakes, he's done it since birth. I am worried. Has anyone else had a baby that does this?

Favorite Answer

It would be nice if you had gotten any real answers from those who have replied rather than wasting your time in reading what they wrote.

Anyway, as a mother of two, I can tell you it is perfectly normal. I've never really asked about that but I believe that it is to help with strengthening their muscles but mostly I believe it is to help with hand-eye coordination. At that age they can see a little further than the distance between their eyes and hands and I believe this helps them to focus.

It's probably just a reflex thing. When they are that young they just do what their muscles are used to doing. Often they clench their fists more or tighter when they are hungry. If you are worried about it you might want to mention it to the pediatrician at the 2 month well check- or even call the office and ask the nurse. Good Luck!

My 3 week old daughter does the same thing. She keeps her hands in a fists too, especially when she's hungry or upset. I wouldn't worry about it though, it's normal for babys to keep there hands clenched when they are infants. If it's worrying you, perhaps you should mention it to your doctor, but I don't think it's anything to worry about it, he'll outgrow it in time.

From the time she was born, my daughter would shake whenever she got excited, sort of like an excited little puppy whose tail wags hard enough to shake it's whole body. :) Her thing, though, was keeping her foot propped up on anything she could. I wouldn't worry about it unless you can't seem to unclench his fist, which could be cause for concern. If he keeps it up and it continues to worry you, I would ask you pediatrician at your next check up.

My son did that. I thought it was weird, too. We actually have sonagram pics of him with his fist up next to his face. I think it's funny now when I look at his earlier pics. Your baby will stop. Don't worry.

my son did that alot for about a month or two.. he just stopped after a while... he is 11 months old and perfect! If it is really bothering you call your doctor, and/or ask the nurse...

take care

well the tightness of his hand usually indicates he is at unrest, and the "raising" of his fist is probably just him not having very much control over his body yet

Oh quick q's ... does he cry ? have you swaddled him? have you brought it up to the ped dr when you brought him in ? if it was something to worry about they would have caught on to it... but very important make sure you keep up with his visits

Maybe he's the next Mike Tyson.

• Bestie

Someone has been teaching him a facist salute.

does anyone at home do that. they only copy what they see.