What Can I take For a Head Cold When Nursing Newborn?

Unfortunately, the day after I arrived home from the hospital with my newborn, we had a visitor who had cold symptoms. Two days later everyone in my house was suffering with the same cold symptoms. I truly didn't want my baby to get anything. I think he is fine so far but I need to take something. I'm having a runny nose and sinus pressure. Achy eyes and a little stiffness.

Favorite Answer

Try this website: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T028500.asp#02850...

has a list of safe drugs. While I was nursing my kids I used tylenol and benedryl, both of which my doctor said was okay. But its always best to check with your doctor first. For this kind of question you could probably just call the doctors office and speak to a nurse just to make sure whatever you want to take is okay, without having to go to the doctor.

• When I had a cold and nursing the only thing that my doctor would let me take is Sudafed. However, the downfall with sudafed is that it tends to dry out your breast milk. So I unfortunately didn't take anything. I had to suffer with the cold for the baby. If you are ever wondering what medications you can or can't take just contact your child's doctor's office. They should be able to make some good recommendations. Good luck and I hope you feel better!

At the first sign of a cold, I take 2,000 mg. of Vitamin C 3 times a day. If I wait too long, it's not as effective, but if I take it right away, like when I first start sneezing, or first start noticing runny nose, it clears my cold up by the next day.

Vitamin C is good for baby. It will boost his immune system. If you get diarrhea, just back off on the amount you are taking. 2,000 mg. 3 times a day shouldn't be too much, though.

You may want to run this by the doctor, but if you can't reach him tonight, taking 2,000 mg. vitamin C shoudn't hurt you or baby :-)

Source(s): Mother of 5, nursed for 11 years, and still nursing :-)

I know you're allowed to take sudafed while pregnant,( according to both doctors for both my pregnancies) but reg sudafed nothing added not PE just reg....

I also know I took it when I breastfeed my son

I just tried to take it right after I breast feed him so he didn't get a "direct hit" of it, but I did that with anything tylenol etc etc

This happened to me also. I called my OB and pharmacy both said Sudafed would be ok. But you should really talk to your doctor just to be sure. If they are not available ..since it's late at night.. call a 24 hour pharmacy!

Check with your doctor on this one to be sure what they recommend. My doctor allowed me to take Tylenol and the most basic version of Robitussin. Drink lots of water and try to get rest. (I know this may seem impossible!)Hope you feel better soon.

Talk to your pharmacist. And don't let anyone who is sick in your home again. Hope you feel better soon and congratulations on the new baby!

Have somebody make you some homemade chicken soup. Otherwise, ask your doctor what you can take.