I am using a DBA can I get a tax free number for my new business?

Do I have to register the DBA..if so, how and where do I do that?

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Yes you can. First, depending on what state you live in, you'll be able to apply for a # online through the irs.gov website. Go to www.irs.gov and then click on "individuals" from there scroll to find an EIN# application (SS4). It will enable you to use this EIN# as opposed to your SS# when filing taxes and giving/receiving your ID# out. If you're looking for a # for a resale license (so you don't pay sales tax on purchases you make for resale) go to the same irs website but choose accordingly, the catagory for resale #. (with a resale #, you will have to fill out a BOE sales and use tax report monthly or quarterly). Good idea to check in with a tax professional, such as an EA (enrolled agent)--(check the NSEA,national society of enrolled agents, NATP, NAEA, CSEA etc. for a reputable one near you).

    You will have to register your DBA at your local county registrars office, pay fees, fill out forms etc., and run your DBA name in a local newspaper for a predetermined amount of time.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    Even though the form may ask for a specific address, go ahead and fill in the APO address and see what happens. Free is a given -- the IRS does not charge for this. Fast is more problematic; until you get one, simply put on any relevant form "Applied for.".

  • sorry, there's no free lunches when it comes to taxes.

    Register at the county and state revenue departments where you are doing business.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.