Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

LAWYERS: I got surgery on my ear, and the anathesia permanently made my cheek go numb. How much can I sue for?

and, how can I prove this?

Favorite Answer

You can recover the cost of the surgery the cost of follow surgeries to correct this, cost of rehabilitation, costs for pain and suffering, the value of any thing you lost or are no longer able to do because of this. You may have to hire an expert to calculate the value of the decline in the quality of life.

You need to see an attorney and let them handle this.

The answer to that question depends on several factors:

1) Is it a common side effect that was explained to you as a risk?

2) Did you sign any waivers saying you were aware of the risk?

3) Did you sign a binding arbitration agreement? ( It is extremely likely that you did sign such an agreement)

4) What is the degree of numbness? How much of your cheek is numb?

5) Does it prevent you from performing normal activities such as eating? Drinking? Sleeping? Talking? Kissing? etc.

6) Does the numbness put you at any level of discomfort (besides it being numb)?

7) Have you had this tested by the doctor who performed the surgery or another physician?

8) How long has it been since the surgery? Have you actually been diagnosed with permanent numbness tied to the anesthesia?

My guess is you don't have answers to some or all of those questions yet. Get those answers. It is what I would demand of any of my clients before embarking on possible tort action.

Let's say it wasn't explained to you, you didn't sign a binding arbitration agreement, it was diagnosed as permanent and stationary, and was the fault of the the anasthesiologist or surgeon, depending on how you answered questions 4-6, I would expect a settlement for as little as $2,000 and perhaps as much as $100,000.

If you did agree to binding arbitration, your settlement will likely be lower and fall within preset limits. Of course you can appeal arbitration, but overturning an arbitrated decision is extremely rare for medical malpractice.

That's just an estimate of course and you should seek consultation with a local attorney.

HI THERE ANESTHESIA MADE MY EAR GO CRAZY BUT HEY I DID NOT SUE CAUSE I WAS ALREADY SUING . IN YOUR CASE SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR AND GET A LAWYER U MIGHT NEED ONE . U

your cheek? what are you a cat? do you need your cheek to help you balance from limb to limb as you hop arond all ....Nimbly bimbily from tree limb to limb like a cat?...........comeone man half the reason our country's legal system sucks is because of folks like you thinkin they can get rich from someone do somethin to help them

just contact a lawyer they don't get money unless they win let them prove it.

that's pretty sh*tty. everyone knows there are risks with anesthsia.