Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

I HAVE A FEVER AND i DONT KNOW HOW TO REDUCE IT. A LITTLE HELP??

Hi.

I caught a cold a few days ago and just now I am feverish. The inside of my ear canals feel very hot and my forehead is warmer than usual. Its not extremely bad to the point of going to see a doctor but I do want to reduce it. Does anyone know how to reduce a fever??

Thanks!!

• S H
    Favorite Answer

Fever is a defence mechanism which creates circumstances that are not favourable for virus or bacteria to thrive, or it kills them directly. If you are going to get rid of the fever without taking steps against the underlying disease, then you are giving way for the disease force to progress. Later you have will have to strain yourself more to eliminate the disease.

DO NOT TAKE A COLD SHOWER OR BATH, as someone suggested.

Take over the counter meds for temporary relief. Get plenty of rest, eat a well balanced and nutritional diet and drink PLENTY of water. In time, the fever will diminish. But you have to allow the body to take it's normal path of fighting the illness. Following the steps, you can help it along a bit faster.

The fever is helping your body ward off infection. A fever is not something to worry about. For aches and pain tho, take a asprin..and if you want, place a cool cloth over your forhead. If you did have the fever for a few days..even if it is not high..you should go see a Dr, you could have an ear infection or something/

• bogey

Most pain relievers are also fever reducers.

You can take tylenol, asprin, or ibuprofen to reduce the fever.

Just don't take too much of any one of them, they aren't very good for you.

You can also try more natural methods like placing a damp washcloth on your forehead and cooling yourself down that way.

You might get the chills this way though.

As long as you are above the minimum age threshold, aspirin is the most effective over the counter medicine to reduce a fever. As long as your fever is around 103 or lower, you don't absolutely need to see a doctor. Over 103, you should go, at or over 104, you must go.

Feel Better Soon

Cold foods like ice cream, sleep with a thin sheet, ice packs, cold rags, keep a fan or air conditioner on if possible, keeping the lights off may help, things along these lines.

• Miki

take a cool shower or bath. fever is not an illness but a symptom. your body's defenses are in action.

Take motrin or tylenol and wet a facecloth a little bit and put it on your forehead.

its a fever you can't sweat out......where did I hear that?.....

take tylenol