How does one get their husband to stop working 16 hours a day?

He works on a set salary and has a lot of responsibility. I respect his attempts to save the world, but wish at this point, that he would save his family first. It is like being married to a pen pal instead of a partner.

I work too, just not 24/7. By the time he has time off, he is so tired, all I can really do is put him to bed and be kind. It is lonely and quiet and being a married single parent gets more lame by the day.

• Me2
    Favorite Answer

wish I could help. after 30 years being married to a workaholic I have finally thrown in the towel. I filed for a divorce. Some of them never wake up. Threaten it. If he doesn't make things better then do it. I stayed for my kids and now they tell me I should have done it sooner. I give up. ya just don't know what is better. If you can make it without him then go for it. If he really wants you then he will straighten out. Mine is in love with his job. I married a paychek. thats all. I've wasted the best years of my life.

If you tell him your feelings, then he doesn't want to work less then you have to make a deciison to stay and live with it or leave if you feel that you need to be with someone who will be there more. Since you are married, I would probably really trying to sit down with him and seriously discussing the issue. Unfortunately, I was in a similar situation with my ex-fiance and I ended up leaving because even though I loved and supported what she did I always felt I was begging for her time. I got sick of doing it and just figured that I'll find someone else who has the time to spend in the relationship. Also, maybe find out if there is anything else going on that he or you may not be happy with,maybe there is another reason for him working so much-Not trying to accuse of anything just a thought there could be something else or not.

Tell him exactly this "It is lonely and quiet and being a married single parent gets more lame by the day", by the way I CAN relate. I was a single parent for the last 12 years of my marriage. So I had no trouble adapting when I left him.

Does he have to work those long hours or does he just stay gone to get away? My husband also works long hours he is gone 14 hours straight working 60-80 hours a week and its taken a toll on our marriage and on our kids. If he is just staying away then you need to something to get him to come home and enjoy what time he has before going back to work with you and your kids otherwise he needs to find a diff. job where he is home more. I know what your saying I have been pretty much a single mother for 4 years and my husband isnt here much either. I hope things get better for all of you.

Might I ask a question of you please? I really would like for you to give this some thought? Just what does it take to make women in general and you in particular happy? Sound silly? Let me explain.

One women will ask what it takes to get him to work less. The next will ask what to do to get him to work more.

One will ask what to do to get him to pay attention, the next will ask what to do to get him to leave your alone or leave period.

Now, I can understand that you want to have time with him and so forth. Perfectly reasonable. Yet you also might wish to veiw this in reverse. Maybe he works so much because he does love you and cares about you having what you want and need too. Maybe he is doing what he consideres it to be his duty to do for his family. Why not consider that? Why is it that women always wish to change the man or get him to come to the view or take they want or see as proper? Why cant you appreciate what he does and maybe come to understand his reasons for it?

Lastly, not to be harsh, for I dont know. But it is possible that he feels happier at work for some reasons, such as he doesnt have to change something every ten minutes, he is appreciated for what he does and how he does it, etc?

Just a couple of thoughts.

• Leroy

Give him something really nice to come home to that's more attractive to him than working all the time. There are many times I'm in no hurry to go home either... so I work late. lol Sad, I know, but true... In fact, I'm at the office right now!

• brp_13

Well then get a job, and help out. Stop spending the money he earns, divorce him, take nothing with you, find a stay at home worthless bum, to give you some time.

I believe communication is the KEY! Sit down and talk to your husband about the relationship. Let him know you feel neglected and that more time needs to be spent with the family.

Source(s): I was just in a play with a situation like this.

Ask him to spend one week a month home early to spend on family time. If he says no, you have a right to get upset and state your case...

Be greatfull that you are not stuck with an unemployed bum, this is a man who is going to be very succesful in life