birdlady asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

Will useing poop off to clean my bird cages harm my birds?

It does have a scent to it and they say don't use strong scents arround birds cuz it is toxic to them

Favorite Answer

I have this product, Poop Off, in my home right now. Yes, it does have a scent to it. I have worried about the scent, too. I don't use it with my birds right nearby. Truthfully, I use a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water in a spray bottle for most cage cleaning. This is nontoxic and actually a remarkably effective germicide. However, even vinegar has a scent so I try to make sure the birds are several feet away and ideally across the room before I spray it. Otherwise it could irritate their respiratory system.

The vinegar/water mix is cheaper than Poop Off so I use it a lot more. However, I have found that Poop Off is very effective for removing droppings from hard surfaces like the hardwood floor and perches. It also works pretty well for getting poop off cloth and rugs. I usually just use the Poop Off for this kind of accident and mostly use the vinegar/water mix for the cage. But, yes, I would try to not have the birds close by when you are using the product and for a few minutes afterward.

I use poop-off to clean my parakeet cage and it works exceptionally well. NO, it is absolutely safe for birds and will not harm them. It was designed for birds, so it will not harm them.

• lin

I have been using it for almost 6 months now, and not have noticed anything different with my tiels. It is winter here and using it helps keep everything clean and fresh. When spring and summer arrive the cages have a natural washing outside with plane soap and water.

• kenton

in case you employ some very warm water on a comfortable textile to moist the realm, wait 5 minutes and then wipe off utilising an same moist textile and a drop of dish cleansing soap, it received't damage your paint.

Use white distiled vinegar mixed with warm water! it works honest and isnt harmful to your birds.......

If its made for the bird or children it should be fine!

...using poop to clean a bird cage. Yea... that sounds sanitary. Just use water and a cloth.

I don't care what anyone says...if it has fragrance and you can't pronounce the other ingredients don't use it! "Elbow grease" is the best thing with soap and water and rinse well.

i wouldnt use it. i would just stick with whatever you are using.