Contractions?

I am pregnant with my second child, but never went into labor on my own with my 1st. I am due in 3 weeks and I am wondering what do contractions feel like when they first begin? I am having dull menstral-like cramping in my lower abdomin that travels to my lower back. I this labor or not... I am not sure. Thanks for any help.

Favorite Answer

if they are regular, and come every five minutes then go to the hospital. They will feel like your tummy is getting hard, and like a huge cramp. It can hurt when they get strong. congrats

Source(s): mom of two girls and a boy on the way.

It can be. contractions feel very similar to cramps.

Contractions in false labor may even come at regular 5-minute intervals, lasting about 30 seconds. This may go on for hours. Even women who have had already had children go to the hospital thinking they are in real labor and find out is was a false alarm. Here are a few guidelines when distinguishing true from false labor:

Timing of Contractions

• False Labor: Often irregular; not usually becoming closer together

• True Labor: Come regularly, usually 4-6 minutes apart and can become closer together. Usually last 30-70 seconds.

Strength of Contractions

• False Labor: Frequently weak; not getting stronger with time, or alternately, a strong contraction followed by weaker ones.

• True Labor: Become stronger with time. You may also feel vaginal pressure

Pain with Contractions

• False Labor: Usually felt in the front only.

• True Labor: Can start in the back and move to the front.

Position Changes and Hydration

• False Labor: Contractions may stop or slow down when you walk, lie down, change position or increase your fluid intake.

• True Labor: Contractions continue no matter what position changes you make or how much you drink.

Source(s): http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,4566,00.html and going into labor twice.

It sounds like you might be experiencing Braxton Hicks. Although if they get stronger and more frequent it is the real thing. Contractions start out very faint then get very intense. They feel like strong menstrual cramps at first then get way worse than that. I felt like someone was wringing my insides out like a wash cloth out. I would strongly recommend talking to your Dr about pain management.

I hope this helps.

need to time in between pains and report to your o.b.g.y.n but in most cases it is a false labor call braxton hicks.if they get 10 minutes apart on a regular basis and last for a minute or so it probably is the real deal.good luck and happy new year....congrats!

what you are experiencing sounds like contractions to me. Or rather the onset of them. Contractions feel like period pains but 100x worse. You can also be experiencing braxton hicks. I would call my dr. if I were you. Good LUck and Congratulations

it could be and it could not be.. I would say go get checked out.. It better to get checked and they say your not in labor it false labor then not go get checked and be labor..

I did that and when i finaly when in i was 9.5cm and fully afasest

• JS

It could be. Keep track of them and if they get longer stronger and closer together...........then that is true contractions!