Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Does Labrador Retrievers’ Coat Come In Two Different Textures?

My brother and I both have labs which were obtained from two different breeders. My lab is yellow, his is black. Both dogs are about two months of age. My lab has smooth straight fur, while his has wavy black fur. We both are starting to think he got dupe!

Our books really don’t address the coat texture besides mentioning the color and other miscellaneous details.

Emmyducki & Cagney I think you both have nailed it. His dog looks like this.. It has HUGE paws just the doggie in the photo.

http://www.fcrsainc.org/photogallery/malmberg.html

• Emmy
    Favorite Answer

Usually Labs have short straight fur.

Are you sure your brother doesn't have a Flat-Coated Retriever? It's a separate, but similar looking breed, with longer, wavy black or liver colored fur. They're commonly mistaken for Labs.

• tom l

Some of the most talented Labs on the planet have a wavy coat. Yes it is a fault, but very common in several Field Trial blood lines. FC-NAFC Cody's R Dee was notorious for throwing pups with a sickle tail and wavy coat.

First off...FLAT-Coated Ret. SHOULD NOT HAVE A WAVY coat either. They have a FLAT coat. I have had and shown 2. No wavy coat on them either. Curly Coated Ret have a CURLY coat. It really cannot be described as wavy.

These and the Lab Ret are descended from Newfoundlands. Many Newfs actually have a very wavy coat. Stirght and wavy coats are both fine and accepted in Newfs. Since they are descended from the same dogs, there will be coat variations in all these breeds. HOWEVER...it is a fault in Labs. Just as a stright coat is in Curlys and a wavy coat is in Flats.

any of the 3 colors of Lab can have a small amount of white but a lab can not be blk and tan like a Doberman. The yellow and chocolate often have shadings. The Labrador Retriever coat colors are black, yellow and chocolate. Any other color or a combination of colors is a disqualification. A small white spot on the chest is permissible, but not desirable. White hairs from aging or scarring are not to be misinterpreted as brindling. Black--Blacks are all black. A black with brindle markings or a black with tan markings is a disqualification. Yellow--Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog. Chocolate--Chocolates can vary in shade from light to dark chocolate. Chocolate with brindle or tan markings is a disqualification.

I have a triple-registered yellow lab and she has a very short coat. Its strange b/c people assume she is a weim mix but her hair isn't that short. Short hair labs are my preference and it depends on the breeding. Tink's came from a breeder who rarely has longer haired labs. History on parents may explain this as well.

• Cara B

Are you talking about a wave to the coat or a long coat? A wave is pretty common, particularly around the shoulders/back. A long coat would suggest a mix.

A wavy coat? Sounds like he got duped to me too.

very long hair is nice but requires servicing and u have to grow it out for a long time

My grandmother has two yellows that she kept from one of the litters that she bred. One of them does have a little bit of a wavy coat, especially on her back. I know for a fact that they are purebred (AKC D.N.A tested), and I have seen both of the parents.

• cagney

there is a curly coated retriever, which can have a wavy coat. more like a poodles hair, but it's not a labradoodle.

oh yeah sorry i forgot about flat coated's. they also are wavy and not as poodle like as curly's. but they tend to have more golden like hair, and not just wavy. it's longer hair.

Source(s): here's a website with some decent pics of curly coated's hope it helps. http://www.curlycoated.com/ and here's pics of the flat coated http://www.fcrsainc.org/photogallery/index.html