what to use to tie asparagus with?

I have a recipe that says to tie asparagus in a bunch to steam, but what do I tie it with? Is sewing thread okay?

Favorite Answer

You don't need to tie it. That's silly and sewing thread would just cut through it. Use blanched green onions or chives, even better!

Steam and plunge it into ice water to shock it.

This preserves the color and stops it from cooking. Reheat as necessary.

If you DO use twine make sure it's for cooking and not packing.

Weird chemicals, ya know?

You're welcome.

,

• flo

I think that sewing thread would work. But after each bunch is steamed I would remove the thread when serving so that it does not get eaten .

The long green top part of Green onions might be another useful way for tying the asparagus.

If you want to get fancy, try tying the bundle with lemon grass, especially if you're going to top the asparagus with hollandaise. I agree that sewing thread will likely to be too thin, but in a pinch, try it. Be very gentle so the thread doesn't cut the asparagus.

i always tie with raw bacon & add a touch of olive oil on the asparagus bundles season with salt & pepper & bake for 20 mins in 350 degrees

I would use a green onion stem, or an extra long chive? Tie two or three stalks per bundle.

Sewing thread would be too thin (unless you did multiple layers). Regular string would be OK.

Yes, if you like cooking and experimenting buy cooking twine. In Wal-mart near the gadget isle.

I have heard of using scallion tops... Or you could use butcher's twine.