Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Should I put neosporin or rubbing alcohol on my kittykins??

My kitten Smokey cut his ear. There is fur missing and there is dry blood. Should I put like neosporin or rubbing alcohol on it to disinfect it? I kinda don't want to do that because I'm afraid he will scream or whimper. But I know it's the right thing to do to get my baby cut all better....what should I do? Someone please help me and my Smokeykins.....again!!! <33333

Favorite Answer

Actually folks, Betadine has almost replaced hydrogen peroxide and definately alcohol. FYI. Both of those were found to "burn" away the tissues and retard healing. Anyone with kids and pets must have some on hand. It disinfects and cleans without irritation.

Yes, Neosporin is safe for most animals. You can get a vet version that will cost you more, same exact ointment.

Source(s): St. Francis Animal Rescue, first responder to injured and abused animals for over 14 yrs.

1

Source(s): #1 Herpes Cure Program : http://HerpesAway.oruty.com/?IiVN

2

Source(s): #1 Herpes Cure Program : http://HerpesCured.trustdd.com/?ZaFz

Alcohol first then use the neosporin... The alcohol will clean the wound and then the neosporin is an antibiotic that will start the healing process!! Within a couple of days of doing this 2x a day Smokey will be better in no time!!! Good Luck!!!

I always clean any cuts on cats with hydrogen peroxide because it does not sting and becuase it gets through all that fur. It is a great disinfectant. After you wipe the cut clean with cotton balls soaked in hydrogen peroxide, you can rub some neosporin on the cut. Don't cover it. Should get all better in a couple of days.

Definately do not use alcohol or hydrogen peroxide!! Both of these will burn!!!

I have had many, many cats and almost all of them have had scratches or owies...I always used neosporin on cuts & scrapes it will not harm the cat. The cat will lick or rub with their paw at the salve. The more they keep it clean themselves the faster the healing happens. (something in the saliva)

Believe it or not my cat slept all the way through my cutting his fingernails!!! HE IS VERY SPECIAL TO ME, AND SOOO SMART.

Good luck! Terri

Source(s): ME

No alcohol! No neosporin anywhere he can lick it. Usually with cats, just keep the area clean with water. If the cut is deep it needs a vet. Cats will wash their hurts and their saliva helps them to heal. If it get infected, take it to a vet.

Source(s): Experieience and reading books and articles about cats. About.com has a good free newsletter.

Please do NOT use rubbing alcohol, it would really burn. Neosporin would be fine or clean it with hydrogen peroxide. At the least, clean it with a warm wash rag or a warm wet gauze. Once it's clean you should be able to tell whether it's a bad wound requiring stitches or a wound that will heal in time.

Source(s): Vet Tech
  • Izzy

Clean it with peroxide first and then put neosporin. Rubbing Alcohol will burn.

Take him to the vets. It's not a good idea to use human medications or chemicals on animals without a vets supervision. When cats are wounded, they abscess very easily and that can be life-threatening. Smokey may need antibiotics. Cats can get very sick very quickly so I would take him to the vet ASAP, and it may be that he will heal up on his own. Good luck!

Source(s): Long-time cat owner; I have just had a long haul with one of my cats who was an indoor-outdoor cat, but has had 2 abcesses from who knows what outside, and will now be an indoor cat the rest of his life.