Sam asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

What does the saying "Cutting off your nose to spite your face" mean?

It's from a song (Straylight Run)

Favorite Answer

its like swatting a fly with a nuclear bomb

It means to make a bad situation worse. For instance, if a person was ugly and cut off his nose, it wouldn't make him look any better; in fact, it would make him even uglier. Usually, the act that would make the situation worse is done out of spite or pure stubbornness.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face means don't do something to worsen a already bad situation. Example would be if your late for a class that you need to graduate in June and you get yelled at by the instructor. don't cuss her/him out and walk out of the class! you may have to stay another semester!

Source(s): just my own opinion!

I think it basically means trying to get revenge on someone/something in a way that will also hurt you. Like if I was mad because my car broke down and then I kicked it, and then it broke even more and I also broke my foot, that would be an example. :)

is an expression used to describe a needlessly spiteful or self-destructive overreaction to a problem

Dont overreact to a problem and destroy yourself more than what the problem actually was

it means that say someone did something minor say insulted your work . if you quit your job claming it was the principal of the matter that was key to quitting that would be one sample of the meaning of the quote.

Source(s): good knowledge of meanings

i wish i could tell you the answer to this question but sadly..i have no idea myself

you're hurting yourself, just to hurt me

IT MEANS YOU DO AWAY WITH SOMETHING THAT YOU BENEFIT FROM.