Sam asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

What does the saying "Cutting off your nose to spite your face" mean?

It's from a song (Straylight Run)

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

its like swatting a fly with a nuclear bomb

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It means to make a bad situation worse. For instance, if a person was ugly and cut off his nose, it wouldn't make him look any better; in fact, it would make him even uglier. Usually, the act that would make the situation worse is done out of spite or pure stubbornness.

• 1 decade ago

Cutting off your nose to spite your face means don't do something to worsen a already bad situation. Example would be if your late for a class that you need to graduate in June and you get yelled at by the instructor. don't cuss her/him out and walk out of the class! you may have to stay another semester!

Source(s): just my own opinion!
  • 1 decade ago

I think it basically means trying to get revenge on someone/something in a way that will also hurt you. Like if I was mad because my car broke down and then I kicked it, and then it broke even more and I also broke my foot, that would be an example. :)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

is an expression used to describe a needlessly spiteful or self-destructive overreaction to a problem

Dont overreact to a problem and destroy yourself more than what the problem actually was

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it means that say someone did something minor say insulted your work . if you quit your job claming it was the principal of the matter that was key to quitting that would be one sample of the meaning of the quote.

Source(s): good knowledge of meanings
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i wish i could tell you the answer to this question but sadly..i have no idea myself

• 1 decade ago
  • 1 decade ago

you're hurting yourself, just to hurt me

• 1 decade ago

IT MEANS YOU DO AWAY WITH SOMETHING THAT YOU BENEFIT FROM.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.