Lynn
Lynn asked in TravelAsia PacificChina · 1 decade ago

a question for chinese people?

do you consider it racist when your walking down the street when a guy shouts "chinita/o" at you?

Favorite Answer

Yes. A lot. And I don't like how so many Asians just shrug it off. It's why we're so underrepresented everywhere. We don't fight for respect. If the guy had said the n-word to a black person, he'd be dead.

Yes. But "chinita/o" is mild in comparison to some other things I 've been called. So I don't take it personally unless they shout it AT my face.

The world is full of racists and I'll be a fool to react to all their ignorance and childish behavior.

I don't think Chinese even knew that calling them "chinita/o" is the term for chinky eyes. Chinita/o is the version used by Chavacano's (southern philippines) to identify a Chinese. But no racism intended. It's just like asking them straight "Are you Chinese" or "Are you Chinito/a"?

Source(s): My other half is Chavacano.

No, I don't get offended unless he says it in my face.