How do I get dual citizenship with Portugal?

My grandmother is from Portugal and migrated to the U.S. in the 40s. Now I'm interested in getting dual citizenship before she "leaves us". What do I need to do? If it helps, I am living in Boston so if necessary, New York City is accessible.

4 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    The US DOES NOT recognize Dual Citizenship. Theres no declaring if you are or are not a US Citizen, when youre here, you are one or not. Period.

    You can HAVE dual citizenship. To get it, you would have to contact the US Embassy or Consulate of that country. For more information, consult the Department of State's website which has direct links to the consulates... It is

    US just simply doesnt recognize you are a citizen of two countries. You can be, nothing is illegal or wrong with it, we just dont recognize that you are.

    Source(s): I am a Customer Service Representative for USCIS
  • 1 decade ago

    About 2 weeks ago, a new law was passed in Portugal that allows for the "skip" a generation access to Portuguese citizenship, so that you could gain it directly from your grandmother (even adter her death). It seem that if you use this law, you will have to give up your present citizenship, though (this is not absilutly clear yet).

    On the other hand, if your parent that is the child of your grandmother is still alive and is willing to gain the double citizenship, then he/shecan later pass it on to you and, it seems that in this case, you are not required to give up your present citizenship.

    I recoment you check the Portuguese US Embassy's website for information on this. Good luck.

  • 1 decade ago

    Portuguese citizenship is acquired mainly through descent from a Portuguese parent, adoption,naturalization in Portugal or marriage to a Portuguese citizen. (Portugal Immigration Services)


    You do not qualify, but read this:

    Dual citizenship

    Portugal allows dual citizenship. Hence, Portuguese citizens holding or acquiring a foreign citizenship do not lose Portuguese citizenship. Similarly, those becoming Portuguese citizens do not have to renounce their foreign citizenship.

  • 1 decade ago

    I am not sure that you can. You are only allowed to have dual citizenship when you are a minor, but when you turn 18 you have to declare your citizenship as being either 'American' or not, you can't be an American citizen and a Portugese citizenship.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.