How do I tell or motivate my husband to lose weight?

How do I encourage or suggest to my husband that he needs to lose weight? We've been together over 12 years. He's gained 100 pounds. His weight is really affecting his health as well as our relationship.

It's already affecting his health-high blood pressure and sleep apnea.

• Leroy
    Favorite Answer

That's kind of a tough one because it all depends on how much he cares about his health, and the other factors like how it affects your attraction for him, your relationship, etc. I truly empathize with you, because I'm feeling the same way about my wife.

The good news for you though, is that men generally don't take it as hard as women do when we're told we are fat and really should lose weight. When I suggested my wife lose weight for all the reasons you mentioned, it was a week before we could be in the same room together! That was after I repaired all the damage to the house!

The question probably isn't so much about how you tell him or how he will react as much as it is about will he care?

I hope it helps...

I found the book to be very informative and easy to read.

I've lost 17 pounds in 12 days, I'm just concerned that I'm losing too much weight, too quickly. I will admit I haven't followed the guide exactly. I'm not sticking perfectly to the listed foods and meal plans (but mostly) and doing very little exercise, but the weight keeps flying off.

It clearly works and if I'd followed it exactly I think it would scare the living daylights out of me because of the amount that I'd lose. So thanks again for the information. I've never purchased anything like this before because they are usually full of trash, but 3WD has been a pleasant surprise.

Get started today!

I think you have the right idea, you want to motivate him. So what currently motivates him?

Does he want you? Does he want you to want him?

Be straight up and say that you love him, and that you see his added weight affecting his health and your DESIRE for him.

Don't talk relationships, that's a sure miss. Tell him you are losing your desire for him at this weight.

That will get his attention.

Tell him about my little brother. He developed diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol as a result of gaining over 100 pounds. At the age of 29, he died of a massive heart attack while he was getting into his 18 wheeler to go on a run to Tennessee. This April will have been three years ago.

• angel1

i don't think you can, if he doesn't want to he's not going to. I've been married 20 yrs, mine has gained over 200 lbs. He now has all kinds of medical problems ,but still sits and stuffs his face all day in huge amounts. good luck, if you find a good enough answer that works let me know!

you can tell a person all u want,but if that person don't want to do it for them self,it won't work.

i lost 40 lbs.for me and no-one else.i got tired of looking fat,and feeling that way.i feel 100% better,and still want to lose 10 more.

maybe he's happy the way he is.if anything go to the doctors office with him.tell him you want him around for many years to come.buy healthy foods and go on walks after you eat together.

find a walking track close to your house.

i drink lots of water ,and eat very small portions 3-4 times a day.

good luck....just be supportive .

You should start cooking healthier! Serve salads before dinner and that will fill him a little before he gets to the main course. Buy apple juice instead of soda. Let him see you working out extra hard. Explain to him that you both are getting older and need to be more responsible for what you eat.

Source(s): Boca Brand food can fool him too!!

Do fun activities together. Go for walks, play tennis or racket ball. Swimming is also a good exercise. Start with yourself and then have him join in.

ok,

tell him how u feel about his weight , and maybe say that u would enjoy taking/doing exercise classes or just walking or jogging together that way he doesnt feel so alone or hurt about the whole weight problem ( maybe he hasent realized...it happens) explain to him how it is effecting your relationship .....

Good Luck

You don't. The only thing you can do without hurting him is to change the way you cook and the kinds of snacks you keep around the house.