Anonymous

What exactly is Black Irish?

Thanks!!

Favorite Answer

They have dark eyes and dark hair.But usually are still have fair skin.

The term Black Irish was used after the great Spanish armada was sent to England, but some ships were tossed away in a storm and came ashore to ireland. The spanish having black hair and dark skin were something the Irish weren't accustomed too, and eventually they bore sons. Black and (normally yellow) make red heads.

The term Black Irish is a term used by some descendants of Irish emigrants to describe their ancestors. The term is found in Australia, Canada, Great Britain and the United States. It refers to the possession of dark hair and eyes rather than fair hair, pale skin, and blue or green eyes. The term is often accompanied by a claim that the darker features are due to Iberian descent.

I always thought a Black Irish is a black person (or someone of Black African origin) born and raised in Ireland. Wasn't the lead singer of Tin Lizzy black Irish?

Some say a hispanic.

Others say a mix of Africanoid and Anglo/Britain people.

But there are other assumptions.

I think the Irish are a wonderful mystery, but have a hidden

surprising truth.

• Sels

I can't claim to know why, but there are many Irish who have darker hair and eyes than many of their counterparts. I'm sure the source has to do with the ancestry, but I don't know the details.

Google the word, "MELUNGEON" and you will get thousands of articles and theories and commentaries on just who these people were and where they might have come from. Extremely controversial and extremely fascinating to me as I have just learned that my family may belong to this group. My guess: Descendants of Portuguese slaves, and various other disparate European groups, who intermarried with American Indian tribes who lived near the Jamestown, Virginia colony that vanished, leaving only the word, "Crotoan" carved on a tree.