What effect will expired Zoloft have on a person? can it still be used safely?

I take Zoloft but found some that I had packed away when I moved. This would save me one months prescription cost. Thats why I'm asking

Favorite Answer

The "official" answer from the drug companies is that expired medication is untested and should be thrown away. However, from research and reports, most expired medications are ok. Tetracycline antibiotics which have expired are not. Your expired Zoloft should be safe to take.

• fortes

Expired Zoloft

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): effect expired zoloft person safely: https://shortly.im/k768W

Asking your doctor or pharmacist to tell you that it's okay to take expired medication, um, isn't going to get you a truthful answer. They're just going to tell you to throw it away. They want nothing to do with you next week, when you walk into their office and tell them you have a rash or a cough or a headache and think it was because you took expired meds.

I work for a pharmaceutical company and my boss is a PharmD - Doctor of Pharmacology - she has told us many times not to worry about expiration dates - that any increase or decrease in strength is negligible and that even with strict manufacturing guidelines, strengths vary from batch to batch - again, in an extremely negligible amount.

Here's an excerpt from an article at Medscape.com on expired drug - I've included the link below - it's pretty interesting and pretty much says that the expiration date is the date the pharmaceutical company guarantees the drug is good by, it is untested as to the actual length of time the drug will maintain it's potency.

"The military was sitting on a $1 billion stockpile of drugs and facing the daunting process of destroying and replacing its supply every 2 to 3 years, so it began a testing program to see if it could extend the life of its inventory. The testing, conducted by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), ultimately covered more than 100 drugs, prescription and over-the-counter. The results showed that about 90% of them were safe and effective as far as 15 years past their original expiration date."

The article states that over 100 different drugs were tested, but I had read elsewhere that 312 different drugs were tested. Expired Tetracycline seems to be the one drug that has proved dangerous if taken - although it could have been the patient's health or the number of year's expired.

Industry professionals will tell you not to used expired medication. And it depends on how long it has been expired. Personally if it is not too old I will still take it and I have taken medicine over 5 years and it has been fine.

I did find some medicine at my dad's house that was too old to take as it was starting to fall apart so I flushed that. Try one and see I suppose if anything it might lose its impact.

• Sheila

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avqBm

be afraid. you can bet there can be permanent effects on your body when you take sertraline (lustral, zoloft) , it is a chemical quick fix. it is amazing to me that doctors will prescribe anti depressant /anti anxiety medication at the drop of a hat without even bothering to check the patient for vitamin and mineral defficiency, hormonal problems .

• psyop6

1. Ask your doctor. It may not do anything bad to you, but that doesn't mean it's doing anything *good* for you, either.

2. Go to your library and look for the most recent edition of the Physician's Desk Reference, as well as all the other current references. These'll give you some idea.

Im pretty sure that its completely fine. they usually put experation dates for legal purposes, but with a medicine such as this (i take zoloft aswell and i would take those old ones)i think its fine

you can ask a pharmacist but once it has expired it usually means the strength is gone and is no longer viable

MEDICINE THATS EXPIRED SLOWLY LOSES ITS EFFECTIVENESS, MEANING IT BECOMES WEAKER, BUT ITS NOT HARMFUL. ITS NO BIG DEAL ON TYLENOL AND THE SORT, BUT HEART MEDICINE AND OTHER VITAL MEDICATIONS CAN SERIOUSLY LOSE EFFECTIVENESS

Source(s): GREW UP IN GRANDPARENTS PHARMACY