Toddler Diapering?

My son is 20 months old and drives me crazy during diaper change time.Every time he has a poopy diaper he puts his hand by his butt and grabs at the poop.I have to try to hold his legs with one hand and wipe with the other-I have no way to keep his hand away.Any suggestions?I have tried distracting him with other toys-but he still does it every time and it is a mess!!!!

Favorite Answer

My son does that sometimes. Try giving him a wipe to hold himself. Atleast that way he doesn't put his hand right in it. It's a pain I know....

I had the same problem with my oldest daughter. I would make her stand while taking the diaper off, then I had her bend and touch her toes while I wiped her bum. This way her hands were occupied by her feet, and I had both hands free to help balance her and wipe her at the same time. I would have her lie down when she was all wiped up so I could put the clean diaper on her. This worked wonders for me, and she thought it was silly, so she was all for it!!

• momma

i change my 20 month old on the floor preferably the kitchen or somewhere you can wi[e up easily then use you rlegs if you lie him down between your legs you can use them to hold him his arms or whatever you can get to to hold him still lol we went through this awhile ago and i never have problems anymore or you can try to give him a wipe in each hand and that he can help you then at least it on the wipe most likely he really will try and help GL

Try singing a song with hand motions (like Itsy Bitsy Spider) and while you and he are singing (hopefully), you can change his diaper in the meantime. Good luck!

I'm sorry but I would slap his hand really hard and he definitely wouldn't do it again. I had to do that with my son. It only took one hard slap to the hand and he never did it again.

You are probably the type of person that doesn't like to spank so my suggestion might offend you.

It will work though. If your young one is strong minded you might have to do it a couple of times.

Source(s): Mother of two 21 month old son 11 month old daughter

distract him with the remote control ....it may sound strange but kids love things they shouldnt have so that should cover u some time

Change him standing up? (him standing up, not you) Then he can't kick. Then you can keep an eye on his hands and have one hand to block with.

• chuy

looks like some one might be ready for potty training