Stupid potato chips?

Have you ever noticed that chips companies are ripping you off? I mean really years ago the bags of chips were filled to the top, and now they are barely half full AND THEY CHARGE THE SAME PRICE?!

I know this sounds dumb but it's true plus I'M BORED OUT OF MY MIND!

• rusrus
    Favorite Answer

Chips, and other processed foods, are sold by weight - not volume. The half-empty bag of chips may weigh the same as in the past, but is insulated with a blast of air (nitrogen?) to ensure freshness and as a cushion.

Back in the day, there was a show on HBO: Not Necessarily the News. They had a feature, where viewers would submit words called "sniglets." These words would describe something that didn't already have a word assigned. The sniglet for the air in the chip bag was "snackmosphere." That's what I always remember when I open an "air-rich" back of chips - now you'll remember it too. You're welcome!

Yes, it does seem some of a rip off, but the air is also there to protect the chips in case the bag gets dropped.

It is true I opened a bag of chips the other day and no kidding there were 2 chips in the bag! Because the bags are so filled with air you cannot feel around to see what your getting. I was so mad!

Well, yes, it's called merchandising...they are downsizing the chip bags and many other items and still charging the same price, so they can make more money. I guess they think we won't notice?!

The only choice you really have is not to buy the product, or to buy a cheaper version.

Even though it may seem your getting ripped off you have to look at the total weight of the bag. The net weight has been the same for a while now. Only thing is it looks like the consumer is getting less because of all the air now.

I absolutely hate it when I go to buy a bag of Lays BBQ Air, and there are chips inside! its awful, and ive filed several complaints to Lays but they haven't responded to any :/

Relax..

Because you can make them yourself !

And while your at it make youself some fish aswell. Unless of course your vegetation.

Buy Pringles

You will not believe this but the bags are bigger than they use to be.They sale the chips buy the weight, that's what you buy---so many ozs.per bag.So don't stop eating them they are not ripping you off.Enjoy them.......

Source(s): My company sales potatoes to Frito-Lay...

so stop eating chips and have some fruit s or maybe some celery or a few carrots sticks