Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is it true that part of Kazakhstan lies in Europe?

Update:

My whole life I have thought that only Turkey and Russia were partly in Europe partly in Asia, till I had a close look at some maps and saw that some depict the western part of Kazakhstan in Europe.

Update 2:

Thanks all who answered, helas I'm not much wiser. Answers went all directions: Yes, no and even slight insult...

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends on your definition of "Europe." Some definitions would say that a small part of Kazakhstan is in Europe, and others would not. Most people would say that at least most of Kazakhstan is in Asia, however. (This is also true of Russia, but most of Russia's population, as opposed to its land, is in Europe)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Kazakhstan is a Eurasian State. A significant part of its territory lies in Europe. Yet for the time being, the Kazakh Ministry of Transport does not participate in the work of the European Conference of Ministers of Transport, and this creates unequal conditions when compared to operators from other countries.

After the Ural River reaches Kazakhstan's border, some consider the Eurasian division to follow the Ural's tributary, the Or River, to its source, and then overland to the source of Emba River, and down the Emba to the Caspian Sea. This definition leaves a greater part of Kazakhstan in Europe.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As a matter of fact there is no real geographical boundary between Europe and Asia like any other two continents; therefore many countries are divided between the two continents like Russia and Turkey, and many others -like armenia and cyprus- are not clearly categorized.

However the most accepted division is the Ural range and since Kazakhstan lies to the east of these mountains, it is considered to be in Asia although it plays within european championships in football and other sports.

• 1 decade ago

Almost all of Kazakhstan is in Asia, but a small part of it west of the Ural river is geographicly considered to be in Europe.

Source(s): National Geographic Atlas
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Kazakstan is a central asian country, that happens to be about as large as western europe. It is bordered by China, Russia, the other -stan countries and the Caspian Sea. So no it is not a part of Europe. btw, no one wants to occupy this country, except Borat!

• 1 decade ago

I have this geography book and I think it is in Europe. Are you saying it's part of Asia or something?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Who cares other than you and the 3 amigos that answered you already? Why are you trying to summon up the belief that you should reoccuppy it or something as such in that squiggily little bit of grey matter you've got between your ears. GOOD God LOOK at a Map and thank GOD that Allah knows not of your failure at world geo.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

NO, AS PER THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE IN OXFORD AND WIKIPEDIA.ORG,

KAZAKHSTAN COMPLETELY LIES IN ASIA.

THE BEST EVIDENCE WE ALL HAD SEEN, WAS ITS PARTICIPATION AND FOURTH RANK IN ASIAN GAMES.

TURKEY IS DIVIDED, A PART OF IT IS IN EUROPE.

RIVER URAL MAKES WESTERN BOUNDARY.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.