I can't be myself when hanging out with my girlfriend and her friends. Any suggestions?

She has an upcoming event in which 20 of her friends will be there (most of which I do not know). I want to try to fit in somehow but I find that I just shell up and tend not to say anything because I fear not fitting in. I can't be myself...but I want to so I can at least enjoy myself while being there. Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

Your girlfriend likes you the way you are. You are not there to please her friends, you are there for her and you have already made her happy, so relax and have some fun.

Ask if her friends are bringing their boyfriends. If yes, then you can relax. If no, just tell her how nervous it makes you. If you haven't said this to her, she is probably totally unaware you feel this way. Be honest with her. Don't refuse to go (unless she says not to worry about it). If you make her aware of your anxiety about the situation, and if she cares about you, she'll either try to ease your mind or make adjustments to the situation to make it more comfortable for you. One guy with 21 women? If you go through with this, I'll give you a gold star for bravery and unconditional love for your girlfriend. Most men would come up with something else to do. It's great of you to even consider it.

Actually, I made the assumption all her friends are female you are talking about. That's probably incorrect. Either way, just talk to her. If she cares, she'll still either make adjustments or try to ease your anxiety.

Remember your girlfriend if a true friend loves you for you, so just be yourself around her friends so her friends will understand why she loves you so much. Find common interest, remember silences are only akward if you make them such. Good luck and have fun!

you shouldn't feel like you have to be someone your not around gf friends. if your gf likes you for who you are then most likley so will her friends. Not everyone is going to like you, you have to just get over that. If you act like someone else, your gf will probably notice and eventually they will find out you were being fake. the best thing to do is talk to your gf about it.

Just try to be yourself. If you can't be yourself try to talk to people more. Talk to people and get to know them. If you can't be yourself around your girlfriend and her friends, what will happen in the furture if you get married? You'll have to get used to talking to you and your friends.

Bring some of your friends. Or tell her it makes you uncomfortable. Then she will help to break the ice.

don't worry about what they think, be yourself (don't be a dumbass though) and show confidence. if they don't like you, well who cares, because you wouldn't want to be friends with them anyway then. your girl should love you for who you are.

I recommend having a couple of drinks.

ok if she likes you for who you are then her friends will like you for who you are.. cuz you are who you hang out with... believe me they will like you so much more if you act like your self..

if you cant be yourself around her and her friends... she is not worth it