Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 decade ago

Why do my sense of smell and taste go away when I have a cold?

Everytime I get a cold I loose my sense of smell and taste completely!! I have a cold now ,and noticed I usually know when I'm getting better becasue my sense's start to come back.Why is this ?

• Favorite Answer

you loose tour sence of taste because your nose is all stuffed up.

I'm not an expert but my best guess is that you loose your sense of smell because your nose is clogged up. The air that carries the chemicals that react with receptors in your nose to create 'sent' just can't get in there. Sent and taste are basically the same thing. If you can't smell it, you usually can't taste it. The exceptions might be the REALLY spicy, salty, sweet or sour. I think those are just about the only things the taste buds on our tongues can deal with.

• DONNA T6 years agoReport

Please learn the difference between "scent" and "sent".

I'm no doctor but When you have a cold sometimes you're sineses get blocked and you loose you're sense of smell and taste its no big deal!