jack daniels?

What is the difference between a green lable and a black label on jack daniels bottle's?

• rusrus
    Favorite Answer

"Previously, the famous black-label brand (the better-quality, higher-priced product) had been 86 proof, where legal, the lower-end green label 80 proof; these marked reductions from the previous practice until recent years of bottling the black-label product at 90 proof and the green-label product at 86. Both are made from the same ingredients; the difference is determined by professional tasters who determine which of the batches will be graded out as worthy of being labelled with the prestigious black label, the rest being sold under the green label."

It's been ages since I was in Lynchburg, but I seem to recall the black label coming from barrels near the outside wall of the shed, with slightly greater temperature fluctuations during the ageing process.

this is off the cuff, but I believe the green is not aged as long as the black. Green I think is 7 years, and the black is...12?

green label has a higher proof

They are pulled from different sections of the barrels sediment. (ie.top of barrel, middle of barrel, bottom of the barrel )