Just wondering???

I have seen a Mississippi Desoto County Sheriff’s car in a construction zone that is posted 50 mph. He has passed me on more than one occasion doing at least 60 if not faster. I was doing 50 and he passed me like I was standing still. He had no lights or siren. One time, ok, maybe, but 3 times in the past 2 months? Should I report him or just forget it?

sarge927's answer makes sense but the_cheeze_cop's answer reflected my concern about the construction worker's safety. As both are good answers, I'll open this up for voting.

Favorite Answer

I wouldn't bother. Police cruisers are not required to obey the speed limit if they are pursuing a car that they intend to pull over or if they get a call to respond -- many times the police are advised to use "silent approach" (say, for burglary in progress) where the dispatcher doesn't want them to use sirens for obvious reasons (like turning a bank robbery in progress into a hostage situation if the robbers hear the sirens and realize the cops are on their way). Since you're talking about a construction zone I wouldn't be surprised if he blew by you because he radared or lasered someone speeding and was going after the speeder to pull him/her over.

Source(s): My uncle is a Captain with the Michigan State Police and my father was Redford Police Reserve for over 10 years

I would make an anonymous phone call to the Sheriff's Office and ask them. State that you have seen this many times and you are afraid for the safety of the construction workers.

All police vehicles (marked and unmarked)need to abide by the traffic laws of their city and state. Only because they are the police doen not give them the right to speed just to speed. Ok granted they might be going to an emergency call and depending on the nature they could go with lights and sirens blasting or go silent. Also when they are in emergency mode they still have to be watchful in traffic, they do not automatically have the right of way, they need to be mindful of traffic, because people don't always hear them. but they are not exempt from traffic laws.

Forget it. It may not have been the same person driving. You would be just calling attention to yourself and maybe inviting retaliation.

Out of sheer malice, people make false claims about police officers. Supervisors won't act unless they are faced with iron-clad proof.

I live in Texas, and in Texas there is no legal speed limit for a marked police vehicle. The same may be for Mississippi.

You could report him to his superior, but what good it will do? Probably nothing. It may be that he is on route to something important, but not important enough to run the sirens.

let-it-go.... :) He'll have a good reason for why he did it, and you'll have your name and license plate written on every cop stations' bathroom wall for the next 5 years!! LOL let it go.... :)

u should mind your own business

Source(s): past experience