pinkprincess asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Why does my dog not like walks?

I just adopted an adorable Corgi/Terrier mix from the SPCA. I love him and he is wonderful, he doesn't bark much and is fully house-trained. The only problem is that it seems like he doesn't like walks. My vet said that this was weird and suggested changing collars. I had him on a harness initially and he seemed fine but somewhat skittish. Now he has started to walk in circles around me and get tangled in his harness and he will start to cry and yelp. He also ran in front of me while I was in stride and he got kicked in the stomach (poor guy!). I switched to a regular nylon collar and I put it on him and didn't take it off (the harness came off after we were done with the walk). He seems to not like this one either. He runs away whenever I grab the leash and will hide in his bed until I force him to go outside. He also doesn't sniff around a lot or mark his territory. He does all his business in one spot. I not sure of his background/past since he's an SPCA dog. Help!

Favorite Answer

He probably was not taken out in a leash much. Keep trying and prasing him and giving him treats outside and he'll start thinking of walks as good instead of scary and unknown.

Your dog for some reason or another is insecure. It has nothing at all to do with the collars that you are using! *Generally* speaking your dog is insecure because S/he does not see you as the Alpha and does not yet trust you. Someone else on here has already said it, but I will say it again....Check out Cesar Millan (The dog whisperer) I too had a "nervous" dog. When I got him he was afraid of the dark, bugs so on and so on. I taught him to walk on a leash in a matter of minutes using the advice of Cesar. He has DVDs, books and he has a program on TV (this sounds pathetic, but the TV (Cesar) is where I learn ed to train my dogs) to see if it was worth my while to buy the books and DVDs. Well I now have a collection of materials from Cesar. He is on the National Geographic channel all the time. I do recommend watching him and how he does it so you know how to implement it then, "Calm assertive" will become a part of your daily thoughts while dealing with your dog. He rescues dogs that are to be put down for aggressive/bad behaviour and rehabilitates them and keeps them. He says "I rehabilitate dogs and train people" :o) I hope this helps.

If he came from a rescue, he probably doesn't have much experience with walking. Just keep taking him out several time daily and within a week or so, he should get to the point where when you pick up the leash, he's leaping at it to go out. If this is a new experience for him, any collar will make him bulk. Give him time! And make it fun for him.

Congradulations on getting a rescue dog! I can't really help you with why he doesn't like to go for walks but I can offer a possible reason for why he may pull a disappearing act when he sees you get his leash: he was beat with it in the past and so now he associates it with being punished. I would suggest calling a pet trainer and asking them how you can make him associate pleasure with the leash instead of pain. The only thing that I can think of to help him get past running from the leash is when you do put it on him praise him and reward him with a small treat.

Good luck and give him plenty of love!

try watching that DOG WHISPER show he tells you how to do everything. just give him time and keep working with him.