Do you know if it is Starve a Cold and Feed a Fever, or is it the other way around?

I can never remember and Your opinions will help me thanks

My son is 3 and he has a little fever. I am giving him lots of water and he runs around like he is not even sick, but he does not want to eat anything.

Favorite Answer

its the other way around

Normally, having a fever will make you not feel like doing anything, and if you have a cold, you feel better if you are drinking warm soup and such... regardless of what the saying is, if your son is running around like nothing is wrong, it could be a tooth coming in, could be allergies or any number of little irritants that make them carry a fever. Anything over 104 is considered a temp to give fever reducer for, and if he's acting fine, just keep him in juice water and it should work itself out. My soon-to-be four year old runs about a 103 fever right before she has a growth spell.

Starve a Fever, Feed a Cold is an old saying dating back hundreds of years to ancient medicine. The idea at the time was that if you're hot, you need to put less fuel into your body so you'll cool off (starve a fever). If you have a cold and are chilled or weak, you need to eat to stoke up your internal fires (feed a cold.)

But the above is not true. When your body is fighting infection, it needs plenty of nutrients, fluids, and rest. If you don't eat, your body will not have the energy it needs to fight. A fever means your body is fighting back and trying to mend itself.

• Drew P

The saying is Feed a Cold and Starve a Fever. But dont' ever follow either phrases advice!

I would go with how you said it. It makes me think of like, when you have a fever, you feel hot, but your doctor tells you to stay in bed under the covers, you know, to "sweat the fever away". So it's like you're feeding the fever by staying warm, yet you are really getting rid of it. I can't think of an explanation for "starve a cold" sorry.

That's an old wives tale. And it was feed a cold and starve a fever (but don't actually do this!)

If he's running around - let him! give him lots of liquids and don't force feed him if he's not hungry - his appetite will come back when it's ready to.

• aarika

it is feed a cold starve a fever but any pediatrician worth having will tell you proper nutrition is the best way for a child to fight off illness in the event they do not want to eat then make sure plenty of fluids are given and continue to offer nutritional food even if they dont eat them

StarVe a feVer, feeD a colD is the old wives tale. However, that is not done anymore. For either malady, plenty of fluids, rest, and relaxation is the prescription of the day!

Good luck, and try not to give your 3 year old medication, unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary!

the answer is feed a cold and starve a fever.

But please drink plenty of fluids if you have a fever!

another option is to go see an acupuncturist and they can use moxa and guasha to speed up recovery!

Source(s): I am an acupuncturist

Depends entirely upon if it is viral or bacterial.

Sometimes it is the other way around considering.