Violin audition- Wieniawski or Tchaikovsky?

I have a violin audition in four months, and so far I've prepared the Wieniawski concerto 2 and am working on the Tchaikovsky concerto. I am 13 years old, and I want to get promoted from violin 2 to violin 1. My orchestra plays pieces like Marche Slave, Carmen, and Dance Bacchanale. Any suggestions on which concerto I should play?

Favorite Answer

your orchestra sounds similar to mine, and I also play the violin (I'm in section 1 ). I would say that when choosing your audition concerto, stop and look at what strengths you personally have. Maybe your violin has great sound quality, or maybe you can do the bowing techniques for one particular piece. Whichever piece you feel you can bring more musicality and art to, choose that one. Both are fine composers, so this really depends on which one you'll be comfortable with.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

(just fyi- I've played Legende by Wieniawski, but not Concerto 2. I enjoy his music a lot)

• Yoda

Wieniawski

I say the Wieniawski, but only because you've prepared it already. I'm almost sure you can get a Tchaikivsky done in four months, but since you already have the Wieniawski done, now you only need to polish and embelish the piece, since you've already learned it.

Use the concerto you know the best. It will impress