julesl68 asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 decade ago

How do you handle your Mother?

My 62 year-old Mother is quite the handful. Her visits to my home consist of telling me what to do (with my kids, how I cook, etc.), complaining (it's too cold in my house..), getting mad at me (I didn't start breakfast fast enough Christmas morning, so she ended up doing it), and communicating she is mad by being snappy and disrespectful. I am 38 years old, for crying out loud! I take this treatment, most of the time without blowing up, and I know that this is who she is and she will never change, but man it makes the holidays so stressful! The whole house is complete tension with her in it. Any one out there with a Mother like this? How do you DEAL?

• Favorite Answer

Please have patience... there is really no way you can change her... .... and enjoy her right now that you have her .... even if she says what she says... My mother and I don't hang out so much , but i do try to understand her... we will all be at that age one day

You need to have a grown up conversation with her and remind her you are no longer a child and it is your house. You may want to distance yourself from her and let the rest of the family handle her to give you some peace and space.

• Fotios

You don't have to put up with this. I know she is your mother but you can just tell her to stay home.

Tell her if she doesn't like the way you run your life to stay home and she won't have to deal with it.

God wants us to respect our parents but if they treat us like dirt then all bets are off.

But you have to discuss this with her and tell her what you think and feel.

All of god's Help on this one.