Is America going to turn into the christian version of Iran?

It really freaks me out how in the past decade, the United States have been getting closer to a theocracy. It is a country where you can only get elected as senator or president if you go to church. It is a country that has never had an Atheist representative. If you look at it, USA is goint through a similar process to Iran. The United States have the biggest amount of weapons of mass destruction in the world and is getting very ethnocentric while Iran is already ethnocentric and is trying to get weapons of mass destruction. There are christian fundamentalists that even think you are a bad person or that you are not god enough just because you are not american. I don't know, as a non-american, it freaks me out.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • sprcpt
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes the Christians have been pushing for legal enforcement of religious doctrine much longer than the past decade.

For example:

1. Prohibition, was pushed through by the baptists.

2. The rewriting of the pledge of allegiance to include the words "under god" 1957

3. The replacement of our national motto which was "Epluribus Unim" with "In god we trust" 1957

4. Blue laws restricting the sale of alcohol on Sunday. Used to be that normal stores were not allowed to be open on Sunday.

5. Laws concerning polygamy, adultery and sodomy are all legal enforcement of religious doctrine.\

You are not correct about one of your statements. All but two of the people that signed the Declaration of Independence were what we now call atheists. The term was not around then and they were called Deists.

• 1 decade ago

Yes and no. I think it seems worse than it is.

Fundamentalists represent a minority of Christians. Although it is a large minority -- it's still a minority. However they, like most extremist groups, squawk the loudest -- and that squawking is only amplified by the incredible array of media networks and internet available in this country.

The recent Democratic victory provides some hope -- at least there's a good chance PERA won't pass. That was a bill that would make it exceptionally hard for a citizen to sue for government infringement of his right to religion (which works great for the majority religion, and sucks for everyone else).

I think the tide will turn. Secularism is on the rise everywhere, and sooner or later people are going to get tired of having to deal with fundie Muslims flying planes into buildings, and fundie Christians blowing up abortion clinics. It's the same irrational mentality, just with different cultural upbringings.

Here's a link to PERA, in case that peaked your interest: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h109...

• Kithy
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

There are groups that are working towards that end, but overall I doubt Americans will stand for it. They try really hard to get their foot in the door (Like when Pat Robertson ran for President - that should be labelled one of the darkest years in our history), but, as with Robertson, most people do not want that leading our nation. Personally, I would be more than happy to see an Atheist representative. I'd love it if we got one for President (so long as he/she knew what they were doing and not turn Politically Extremist as some others have done in the past).

Well, I'm sorry we freak out. lol But the normal people do out-number the Fundies in our nation. It's just that the Fundies are the loudest group.

• 1 decade ago

Prophet Enslavement - did you know that originally the Pledge was recited with a military salute, then with the right arm extended, palm down, like the Nazi salute? There are still a few photos around of American schoolkids doing that.

The "hand over the heart" thing was a reaction to the fact that the Nazis were using the same hand-and-arm gesture.

The guy who put together this website is a nutcase, IMO, but he did put photos of this up on the internet for folks to see:

http://rexcurry.net/pledge-of-allegiance-images.ht...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Non American ? don't get caught up in christian fundamentalism the law here will keep the freaks in line like Waco even James Town in Guiana.

The world will not allow America to become an Isolationist Nation. I wish we could.

Re examine your evaluation !

America the ONLY Nation where you are free and know the military might and laws and the police protect you.

The anarchy in the world would turn nuclear and that hemisphere would die. You get freaky at the idea of being safe and free?

For sure you know very little about America.

• There is very little difference in my mind between the current government of America and the Nazi-era government of Germany under Hitler. They brainwash the kids young, teach them that ANYBODY can be president, when this is clearly a lie. If you take the old footage of the Hitler Youth saluting the nazi flag and photograph a modern-day class of children saying the pledge of allegiance in unison like good little drones and dronettes and put them side-by-side you can see the comparison. It's almost scary. Heil Bush, mein bruder.

• eri
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yeah, I'm scared as to where my country is going. People keep trying to claim this secular nation is a christian one - what christian values would those be in the constitution? Good old christian bible-supported values like slavery? Oppression? Limiting freedom of speech and religion? Killing everyone who doesn't agree with you? Yeah, doesn't sound familiar, does it? Or could they possibly mean the 'don't kill each other' part? Like no one ever came up with that before this particular god was thought up.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Bible does prophecy that America will join forces with Vatican to rule the world as dictators who enforce laws about religious worship. But certainly that is not the Christian way, and absolutely not a "theocracy" but a "tyranny"!

11 Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth, and he had two horns like a lamb and spoke like a dragon. 12 And he exercises all the authority of the first beast in his presence, and causes the earth and those who dwell in it to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed. 13 He performs great signs, so that he even makes fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men. 14 And he deceives those[e] who dwell on the earth by those signs which he was granted to do in the sight of the beast, telling those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast who was wounded by the sword and lived. 15 He was granted power to give breath to the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak and cause as many as would not worship the image of the beast to be killed. 16 He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, 17 and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or[f] the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

18 Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666. (Revelation 13:11-18)

It has all the trademarks and characteristics of Pagan Rome who persecuted the early Christians in the past. Rome will never change!

Source(s): If you want to know more about this matter go to this website: http://the_wordbride.tripod.com/babylon.html And here is another article, shorter than the above mentioned : Beast and 666 Regarding the composite beast of Revelation 13, and the mystic number in verse 18: Rev. 13:18 This calls for wisdom: let anyone with understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a person. Its number is six hundred sixty-six.[NRSV] I have very little interest in numerology, of which the 666 question is but a small example. In the first century AD, numerology was more generally employed than it is now. But it was Jesus Himself who chose to include the 666 verse in Revelation. Irenaeus (c. 130 - c. 202) bishop of Lyons, was the first of the church fathers to stress the mystic number 666. He expected a future division of Rome, and cautioned all to wait for that division before attempting to solve the riddle. He did suggest several names that might fit the number, among them Lateinos (The Latin-speaking man) in Greek numerology: L=30; A=1; T=300; E=5; I=10; N=50; 0=70; S=200; total 666.–Ireneaus, Against Heresies, book 5, chap. 30, sec. 2.[Froom, The Prophetic Faith of our Fathers, vol. 1 pp. 248, 249, Review and Herald Publishing Association, 1950]. Hippolytus (died c. 236) followed the interpretation of Irenaeus. –Froom, vol. 1 p. 277. Various subsequent writers offered a number of other interpretations, including this one: STUR (Saturn), the hidden god of Babylon, in the Aramaic language: S=200; T=60; U=400; R=6; total 666; Pope Innocent III (1198-1216) applied the 666 number to the prophet Mohammed, but without attempting to find the number in his name. –Froom, vol. 1 pp. 675, 676. The 666 number was first discovered within the title Vicarius Filii Dei by the Protestant writer Helwig (c. 1572-1643). He also nominated a number of other Latin titles which had been applied to the pope: Ordinarius Ovilis Christi Pastor, Dux Cleri, and Dic Lux. All of these computed to 666, but he promoted Vicarius Filii Dei as providing the closest fit. While advancing this interpretation, he admitted that Vicarius Filii Dei was an expansion of the official papal title Vicarius Christi. –Froom vol. 2 pp. 606, 607. The exact term Vicarius Filii Dei (Vicar or Substitute for the Son of God) first appeared in The Donation of Constantine, which is now admitted to be a forgery, produced probably between 850 and 900 AD. It is true that the popes made frequent use of The Donation of Constantine for hundreds of years, and that its authenticity was not questioned even by the papal opponents. But the forger did his work carelessly. While claiming the document to have Constantine as its author (died 337), it quotes the Bible from the Vulgate translation of St. Jerome (c. 342-420) who wasn't born until after Constantine was dead. Eventually the forgery was unmasked, so that the fraud has now been recognized for 500 years. Thus the title Vicarius Filii Dei has very dubious origins. The universal and official word from Roman Catholic scholars and administrators has been to deny the title. I believe it is winsome and tactically superior to accept their disclaimer. The main reason for continued interest in Vicarius Filii Dei is that its letters do add up to the figure 666. However that is a small point, since the same can be done for many other names, including that of eLLen goVLD VVhIte. (L+L+V+L+D+V+V+I; 50+50+5+50+500+5+5+1=666) The book of Revelation has a main point: the struggle between truth in the person of Jesus Christ, and falsehood, in the person of Satan. Surely Satan himself has since his fall always wished to be the Substitute for Christ, or Substitute for the Son of God. And to the extent that anyone, Protestant, Catholic, Buddhist or atheist, denies the true Christ in favor of a substitute, he lends support to Christ's opponent, the father of lies. Thus theologically, the same problem exists should any human assume the (acknowledged) title of Vicarius Christi. "It is important that in defending the doctrines which we consider fundamental articles of faith, we should never allow ourselves to employ arguments that are not wholly sound. These may avail to silence an opposer, but they do not honor the truth. We should present sound arguments, that will not only silence our opponents, but will bear the closest and most searching scrutiny..." –5T 707, 708 (1889); GW 297-300; CWE 39, 40. And that's why Adventists in recent years have had much less to say about the title, Vicarius Filii Dei. In John's time, the number 666 already had a long history. My principal source for the following is R. Allan Anderson's Unfolding the Revelation: The Babylonians, who invented the zodiac, considered each of the twelve signs to rule over the twelve months of the year. They further divided each of the 12 houses into 3 rooms. 12 x 3 = 36. Each of the 36 designated gods ruled over his own 10 degrees of the 360 zodiac and over his 10 days of the 360-day zodiacal year. We pause now to do some serial addition: 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12+13+14+15+16+17+18+19+20+21+22+23+ 24+25+26+27+28+29+30+31+32+33+34+35+36=666 It was believed that no god would strike you if you were wearing his identifying amulet. It would thus behoove you to invoke the numbers of each of the gods. The number which encompasses them all is 666. An amulet which contained all of these numbers would insure the favor of all the gods, anywhere, anytime. But the ancients didn't stop with using magic numbers in serial order. Arranging these numbers in a magic square could greatly compound their power. Two examples follow [use a non-proportionally spaced font to make the numbers line up properly]: 1 32 34 3 35 6 30 8 27 28 11 7 20 24 15 16 13 23 19 17 21 22 18 14 10 26 12 9 29 25 31 4 2 33 5 36 6 32 3 34 35 1 7 11 27 28 8 30 19 14 16 15 23 24 18 20 22 21 17 13 25 29 10 9 26 12 36 5 33 4 2 31 Each line, column or diagonal adds up to 111. The sum of the six lines or six columns is 666. With the numbers arranged thus in magic squares, you can hope to invoke the full power of the sun, the king of the gods. His number is 666. Just as to the ancients, the number 7 signified completeness or perfection, the number 6 could represent something less than completion, or a contrast to perfection. Consider our term "hex," with its connotations of evil, magic and witchcraft. Yet the word is merely the number 6. My point is this: When the number 666 appeared in Revelation it already had a long history, dating as many years before Christ as we have counted since. This number has long symbolized opposition to God, and the power of the enemy. Any person, institution, or theology which should attempt to usurp the rightful place of God, could be legitimately symbolized by the number 666.
  • 1 decade ago

no. we may be backwards, but luckily we will never have some of the social values iran has had.

we do have sexism and superiority complexes and greed, but as extreme as we think we are, we do not have many of the degrading values in this country (at least openly accepted) that iran does.

• 1 decade ago

If one who has big weapon to rule the world, there are only slave and master, will not be a democracy country. The weapon will dye one day, the ruler will dye one day. It will not be a everlasting ruler. the weapon is now in their hand, the weapon will be one day in our hand too. The strongest one is not lean on weapon, is lean on love and make people happy. Whoever will be the whole world people love him too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.