Lily asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 1 decade ago

Thai tea...?

does

anyone know how

to make a good Thai

iced tea? Here's the

thing- I've seen all

the recipes online

that require thai tea,

sweetened

condensed milk,

and sugar, but i

would like a better

recipe. The really

good Thai

restraunts' tea has

something else in it

that gives it a more

rich or "earthy"

taste. Can anyone

help me out?

Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

Thai Tea Recipe From Scratch

1 gallon water

8 Chinese star anise, ground

1 tablespoon orange flowers

1 tablespoon powdered vanilla

1 pinch of clove powder

1 pinch chopped cinnamon

3/4 quart long cut China black tea leaves

1 to 2 cups sugar

1 quart half & half

red food coloring

crushed ice

Boil water. Add star anise, orange flowers, vanilla, clove, cinnamon, and tea leaves to boiling water. Continue boiling for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Cover and allow to steep until luke warm. Strain, and add sugar to taste. Serve in a clear glass over plenty of crushed ice. Top with half & half.

Traditional Variation: Substitute coconut milk for half & half.

Decaffeinated Variation: Substitute decaffeinated tea leaves.

Low-fat Variation: Substitute evaporated milk or rice milk for half & half.

Natural Variation: Substitute unrefined cane sugar for refined sugar and beet powder for food coloring.

Well why dont u try an easier way, use a Thai Ice tea mix, it has all the ingredients u want in it and all u have to do is pour in boiling water. Here is the site if u want to order it http://importfood.com/thaiicetea.html make sure u get the Por Kwan brand ive tasted it and it tasted better than any other thai tea brand ive tried before

I think when they brew the tea, they put orange peel in it, but be sure you remove ALL of the white membrane. It will cause it to be bitter if you don't. Also, it is a mixture of heavy cream or half and half with the sugar and condensed milk. You also have to brew the tea a little stronger than most teas to get that rich comforting taste from which you describe. I make it all the time at home, it is my favorite drink ever. I hope that helped

Ingredients that I use: Thai Tea (the package), evaporated milk, sugar, water, and coffee mate.

Thai Iced Tea

Thai red tea leaves are blended with star anise, cinnamon, and vanilla. The steeped tea then is flavored with sugar, and after being cooled is mixed with cream and often condensed milk for a refreshing creamy drink

6 cups water

1 cup Thai tea

3/4 cup sugar

6 tablespoons cream

6 tablespoons condensed milk

In a kettle, bring the water to a boil. Place the tea in a teapot or glass container. Pour the water over the tea and let steep until bright orange in color, 3 to 5 minutes. Strain into a clean container, such as a pitcher (or, if in tea bags, remove the bags). Add sugar and stir to dissolve. Let cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Fill 6 tall glasses with crushed ice and add tea to 3/4 full. Add 1 tablespoon cream and 1 tablespoon condensed milk to each glass.

Serve with iced-tea spoon so guests can swirl the mixture themselves

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thai Tea

1 gallon water

8 Chinese star anise, ground

1 tablespoon orange flowers

1 tablespoon powdered vanilla

1 pinch of clove powder

1 pinch chopped cinnamon

1 to 2 cups sugar

1 quart half & half

red food coloring

crushed ice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-mixed Preparation 1

3 1/2 c water

1/3 c Thai tea

1/3 c sugar

1/3 c condensed milk

1/2 c half & half

Heat the water to boiling, then using four layers of cheesecloth as a filter, pour the water through the tea four times or until the tea until reaches the right color. Set the tea aside to cool. Mix together the remaining ingredients. Fill glasses with crushed ice; pour milk/sugar mixture about 1/2 full into each glass; carefully pour cooled tea over top to preserve separation. Serve.

Pre-mixed Preparation 2

1 1/2 c water

2 tbsp Thai tea

1/4 c sweetened condensed milk

Place 2 tablespoons of tea powder in a muslin bag, and arrange over the neck of a jug. Pour in 12 ounces of boiling water, and allow to steep. Transfer the bag to a second jug and pour the water into the bag again. Repeat this process several times then vigorously squeeze the bag to remove as much liquor as possible. Add a quarter of a cup of sweetened condensed milk, stir to incorporate, and allow to cool. Serve over shaved ice. Makes 2 cups.

Pre-mixed Preparation 3

This process gives me Thai Tea that tastes exactly like it does in my favorite Thai restaurant. I put a cup of the loose tea leaves into a big pot of water (the kind of pot one boils pasta in... a big stove pot). I bring the tea and water to a rolling boil, stirring constantly and monitoring the heat so that it doesn’t overflow. After it has boiled for a minute or two, I reduce the heat and allow the tea to simmer for 15 or 20 minutes. Then I cover the pot and allow the tea to cool on the stove top. At first the tea leaves all stay at the top of the water, but as the water cools they all drop to the bottom of the pot. I then carefully pour the tea into a pitcher, using a metal strainer to catch any leaves that happen to get stirred up during the process. (However, virtually all of the leaves stay settled.) I add sugar until the bitterness of the tea goes away, usually between one and two cups. If the tea seems too strong, I also add water to dilute it a bit. I pour the tea over ice, filling the glass 2/3 full, then top it off with half-and-half.

Pre-mixed Preparation 4

Here's a tip :

Let the wonderful fragrance of Thai icetea fill your home, and enjoy a stronger-tasting tea. In medium pot boil 8 cups water and add 8-10 heaping tablespoons of Thai tea mix. Reduce heat and let simmer uncovered for 1 hour. Add water to balance and let simmer for additional 1 hour. Add water once again and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Strain, cool and serve as per above method. This method yields a stronger tea and is the more common way of preparation in Thailand.

thailand website can help